HD DVD & Blu Ray - informal poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
One of my other passions is Home Theater, and there has been much discussion within the HT community about two new competing media formats, HD DVD and Blu Ray. What I'm trying to do here is:

1) Gauge people's general knowledge of the two formats
2) Gauge people's general disposition towards one or both of the formats

Hopefully we can all have a productive discussion and I'd be thrilled if anybody learned something from the poll/thread.

As someone who works in the film/television industry: Blu-ray is crap. I hope it doesn't catch on. It's just a pathetic attempt similar to microsoft's proprietary software.

Anyways IMHO: I think the days of disks are gone, the future is in flash memory.

It ate my poll...darnit...

Oh well. I guess it'll just have to be discussion from here on out. :D

heh. Yeah, it's definitely a debatable topic. It's impossible to predict where the industry will go.

I'm just interested to gauge what average viewers know and/or think. There is so much debating going on right now, it isn't even funny. IMHO, speculation and conjecture until BD actually hits the market (I've heard rumors that Samsung will be sneaking their player onto some store shelves for this Father's Day weekend).

Obviously based on my avatar, some can tell which way I've decided to go as of right now. Honestly, I really didn't want to get in the middle of a format war, but it was much easier for me to hedge my bets on the price of the Toshiba HD DVD player as the competing Blu Ray players will be twice the price.

It seems to be a general consensus that the average "Joe & Jane Sixpack" consumer will be the people who sway this war, which is why I'm trying to get a feel here.

Derek S:
It seems to be a general consensus that the average "Joe & Jane Sixpack" consumer will be the people who sway this war, which is why I'm trying to get a feel here.

Yeah, sadly it'll probably come down to who has the most successful marketing.

Derek S:
but it was much easier for me to hedge my bets on the price of the Toshiba HD DVD player as the competing Blu Ray players will be twice the price.

I go with HD DVD as well because I prefer a standardized format. I like being able to play my DVD's in more than one kind of player. Kinda like: I don't agree with DVD-R and DVD+R formats... who came up with that one?

I do know that Sony's PS3 will be using Blu-Ray, so if I ever get a Blu-Ray player it will most likely be a in the form of a PS3.

Yeah and Sony is taking flak because it jacked up the price of the ps3. Remember when consoles used to cost $100?

Off topic: I like the nintendo wii. That looks interesting; taking a step in a whole other direction.

I love it...so far the initial reviews of BD and the Samsung player have been less than flattering. :D

Back
Top Bottom