Headed to Cabo Sept 20th-27th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cabo Wabo is not the place. Hit Squid Roe after midnight one evening. That is a great show to watch! Cabo Wabo is fun on a busy night, but Squid Roe delivers every time.

We're going to Cabo next March? Any recommendations for dives and who's best to work with? I'm new (hopefully 30 dives or so by next March) and prefer to go with a good dive shop.

Nice thread...I was just gonna post a Cabo thread :) Im looking for a good operator down there to dive with. I'll look at yours, have you had good referrences about it from many others? As far as some of the other stuff, restaurants etc...

We go there every year (timeshare). This is just my first year certified :wink:

Restaurants- too many to even try to list, of course the following is just MY opinion.

Lorenzillo's - Overrated and expensive
Trailer Park - Overrated and expensive, I don't pay $60-70 here for lobster(maine) so why would I pay that much there for pacific lobster??
The Office - a must do for breakfast :)
Any Plaza area Taco stands (restaurants...not carts :p )- awesome and inexpensive. I get better food at these stands then the high priced restaurants...seriously. I think one of the plaza's is called the Blue Moon? Has a little outdoor bar area in the plaza, with a little taqueria right next to it.

Cabo has a billion restaurants. My recommendation?? Ask the locals at your hotel (staff....not conceirge) and taxi drivers. When you hear a name pop up repeatedly...your probably golden. There are tons of clean, nice, inexpensive places to eat awesome food :)

Clubs? You can't go wrong with any of the majors, Squid Roe, Giggling Marlin is an institution not too be missed in Cabo. Cabo Wabo...etc..

Last edited:
Hey...

I'll be in Cabo on 9/22. I'm taking a Carnival Cruise and plan on doing as much diving as I can get before the ship leaves.... Maybe I wouldn't mind if it left. If I dont get the chance to meet up with ya for some dives have fun!

:D

Thanks for the dining recommendations. Sounds like we are definitely going to be eating well!

Any more dive suggestions? Any shore diving?

AzDiver, do you know where the cruise ship docks or which dive ops cater to the cruise passengers?

PS: AzDiver.....don't give up hope....It took me 7 years to finally escape from Purgatory :) :)

Another question:

What age range do the clubs recommended cater to? My "clubbing" days are a few years in the past......

Go late to Squid Roe, sit back and watch the show. It is always interesting.

We went to Cabo for our first trip 2 years ago for T-day, we are going again this year for T-day. We pretty much hit every club on the main strip and came away with a few impressions. There were 6 of us, ranging from mid-20's to 30 year olds.

- Wabo Cabo: it seemed the drinks were mixed weakly, even those that used the self-named Wabo Cabo tequila. It definately is a good place for "adults", more in the mid-30+ (or 40+?) range than many of the other places
- Giggling Marlin: odd place, they put on shows that involve taking advantage of drunk people's exhibitionist sides, not my favorite spot..boring really, just sitting at a table while drunk people make fools of themselves
- Zoo bar: great for teeny boppers, this is the place the kids on Laguna Beach (on MTV) always go, its packed with the 18-20 year olds who wish they were 21. They play the same top-40 'dance' songs on a loop, stay for more than 2 hours and you get to hear the same songs over and over (just like commercial radio in the states). It was day (night) care with alcohol for teeny boppers on there 'legal' drinking binge from SoCal. Overpriced, diluted and mostly flavorless drinks.
- El Squid Roe: likely the best 'club' in town. Lots of different areas, very mixed crowd of all ages...I saw people ranging from the early 20's to those that must have gotten there with their walkers, but all having a good time. We were sad it was the place we visited last, will be going there again

If you want decent italian food, you can check out Romeo y Julieta's...its on the west end of town after it starts fading out by the marina. This happens to be a short walk from our house in Pedregal that we stay rent.

One of the more challenging things is finding tequila that is unique. We found one place that had a great tequila selection, but most just had the same stuff as you get at any decent liquor store stateside. So if you want to check out some fine tequilas, we had the best luck at Tequilas & Tequilas Boutique Store.

If you are after cigars (not that anyone would bring cuban cigars into the states...) you will have to be careful, a lot of "cuban" cigars just aren't. But there are a couple of great cigar shops that have a wide selection of fine cigars from around the world, though in some cases the prices may not be that much better than stateside.

We also did a booze/sunset cruise on the La Princesa III sailing cat which was fun, and had more drinks than we should have...I'm not sure if we got the drinks free with the cruise, or the cruise free with the drinks...but either way, we got our drink on.

There is also a Costco between the airport on Cabo, they have a pretty decent selection of tequila as well...and a great stop if you are staying in a house, we bought cases of beer, mixers, and groceries for the week there.

Diving wise, we picked one of the shops in the Marina. I don't recall the name of the one we chose, it was one of the smallest shops closest to the main road/dirt parking lot (there are ~3 dive ops in a row). They didn't have their own boat, but instead hired one of the water taxis that ferry people to Lovers Beach/Sunset Beach. The advantage was that it was "private" for our group of 6 and one other diver....and we had 3 divers in our group, and 3 snorklers...overall it was pretty cheap, and allowed the non-divers to just to hang out on the beach or snorkel as they wished.

In Cabo itself, there isn't any real shore dives that I had been able to find. You could shore dive from Lovers Beach, however you'd have to take a water taxi to get there. The better diving is supposed to be in La Paz (such as Club Cantamar), which is ~2 hours out of Cabo and many of them have shuttles that run up for the day. We may do the trip to La Paz this year, its still up for discussion in our group.

I'd also recommend checking Trip Advisor for more restaraunt and club info, or other transportation questions.

Thanks Prius,

Sounds like Squid Roe is more my speed. The current crop of "dance music" doesn't do much for me.... I think I stalled somewhere in the 80's.... Anybody for some Hughey Lewis or REO Speedwagon?

My main interest on this trip is the diving. What sites do you think will give me the best "bang for my buck"??

ANEGADA
THE POINT
LA LARGA
ACROSS THE BAY
THE BLOWHOLE
CABO PULMO
GORDO BANKS

Anybody answer Franklyhooked's request for a dive outfit recommendation? I'd like to get some recommendations, too, as I'm headed to Cabo in November. My fiancee wants to do her AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom