headed to the mountains....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

needforspeed751

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
so my dad mentioned that we might be taking a trip to Tahoe in a few weeks and said that it might ne fun to get a few dives in. Unfortunately I dont know anythingbabouy altitude diving so I wanted to get an idea for how hard the classes are. I dont live at altitude but would love to be able to do a few easy dives with my dad. Is there a way I can read all the literature and take the tests and then do the qualifying dives on my own? If not, any suggestions?

There is no requirement to be a certified altitude diver to dive at altitude. However, bravo for having the wisdom to pursue the issue.

Whether you go for certification or not, a good first move might be to buy an Altitude Diver book from any of several agencies, or at least look at this article by one of our Scubaboard members:
8th Element Diving - Scuba Math - Altitude Diving: Understanding the Tables

At an absolute minimum, dive even more conservatively than usual.

Here's another site too
Altitude

you may also want to look at a dry, semi dry or at least a 7mm suit. brrrr

Lake Tahoe Facts:
* Altitude: 6226 feet
* Air Temperature: 50º to 80º F.
* Water Temperature: 58º - 65º F.
* Visibility: 25 - 45 Ft.
* Maximum Depth: 1645 Ft. off Stateline Point (92 ft below Carson City).
* Surface temperature ranges from 75º F in summer to 37º F in winter.
* Life: Brown, cutthroat, rainbow, salmon, mackinaw trout, f/w sculpin, f/w shrimp, crawdads.
* Surface area 193 Sq. miles (70 in Nevada).
* Visibility ranges from 20 ft. to over 100 ft.
* Tahoe contains 4 times the capacity of Lake Mead.
* Maximum water level is 6229'.
* Tahoe does not freeze over.
* Bottom temperature 39º F.

thanks! Just picked up an alt book. Hm drysuits.... I've definitely been considering one for a while since it gets a liiiiitle bit chilly on the west coast :p

I dove DL bliss last year and the vis was great. You don't have to be certified to dive altitude but a class can help. There's nothing too difficult to altitude diving you just have to remember a few things. Ascend much slower, diving to 80ft is like diving to 100ft. and your tables are different. My computer automatically adjust for altitude but you can buy books that will give you more info. When you are done diving you want to give yourself some time at altitude before driving down in elevation. By the time I pack my gear and get some lunch I'm ready to drive home. It all depends on much nitrogen you absorbed. Again these are just some general pointers. If you don't take a class find a good book and it will be more specific.

When you are done diving you want to give yourself some time at altitude before driving down in elevation.
Actually, it's driving up in elevation that is the concern (similar to flying after diving). Driving home after diving high elevation lakes often requires going over even higher mountain passes. I suspect this is what you were referring to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom