Health concern, alergies and nasal congestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have allergies to cats that result in sinus congenstion. (of course we have two cats...) so daily meds keep my sinuses clear (zyrtec and singulair) - I was cleared to dive and have had no problems so far (only 20 dives under my belt, but so far so good)

As others have said, as long as you can equalize on the way down and back up, you should be ok. Just take is slow and don't push yourself and of course, consult a good DR or ENT.

My ears stopped working correctly when we moved to the PNW two years ago. A few trips to the ENT doc where he ran allergy tests and we had it figured out. I am allergic to a bunch of stuff out here. He put me on a medication that has me diving just fine.

When you talk to your Dr. make sure he knows that you are thinking about diving and are concerned with clearing your ears. That steps things up a notch. There is a big difference between walking around stuffy and diving that way.

Good luck,
Jeff

Thanx for the great responses people. Obviously, as I said when I posted the thread, the thing to do is talk to the Dr and I have a better idea how to do that now.

Some of the stuff you posted does sound like I have a chance. One thing I don't have is any exercise or cold-induced anything. I ski a few days a week and sometimes in temps down to -10 or -20 F and it only makes me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom