Health concerns: cervical fusion/spinal cord injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had cervical discetomy with fusion and DAN was not much help with info about diving afterwards. They left it up to my neurosurgeon to make the decisions. I was fully released and given the OK to dive to 600' (have not been that deep yet, but made it to 484'). I was suffering from partial to full paralysis intermittently in my left arm and several other symptoms prior to surgery. My surgeon was much more concerned with me carrying any weight that would put unnecessary strain on my neck than the actual diving. I was asked to go back to diving gradually instead of jumping in for a splash to 400' to make sure of no unexplained complications.

so sorry I had AOW on my mind. It was just my open water cert
i was doing physical therapy three times a week and exercises at home
it was required for my doc to even consider signing off on diving

i would not let a fusion stop me from diving unless there were other issues and my doctor said no

Why is the rum always gone

Spinal cord injury is clinically characterized by a complete or partial conduction disturbance, segmental and radicular disorders. Total disruption of spinal cord conduction clinically absence of all types of sensory and motor function below the level of injury, urinary retention, bowel movements.

Back
Top Bottom