Healthways Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The steel tanks from days gone by have been referred to as 72's, the actual capacity is generally 71.2 cu. ft. when filled to a service pressure of 2475 psi (2250 + 10%). If the original hydro is after the early 1960's, they most likely have a 3/4" valve opening (standard). Prior to that, they had a 1/2" tapered valve (sealed w/ teflon tape not an o-ring). Although I do have a 1959 Usd tank with a 3/4" valve.

They did market them, they did not "make" them however. Odds are it's a steel 72 but other sizes do exist. If it is clean inside, passes hydro and vis there is nothing at all wrong with it. There are plenty of old steels from the 50s and 60 still going strong......an uninformed dive shop may tell you different, they do not always have the most accurate advice.

Although I do have a 1959 Usd tank with a 3/4" valve.

Sure. Manufactured in 1959, but not cataloged until 1960. You have one of the first.

I have four Healthways 1/2" valve tanks still in use. I love em...

Who actually made the tanks sold by Healthways? The Healthways 72s from the 1970s are my favorite tanks. They seem to have the best buoyancy characteristics of all the steel 72s. I have four PSTs and they are rather light, even when full. I also have two Walter Kidde 72s and they are even lighter, about like an AL80. My three Healthways tanks are negative from full right through to empty. All three are stamped "HJ" indicating they were made for Healthways. But who made them? I know WK didn't and I'm just as sure PST didn't. Was Worthington in business then?

Who actually made the tanks sold by Healthways? The Healthways 72s from the 1970s are my favorite tanks. They seem to have the best buoyancy characteristics of all the steel 72s. I have four PSTs and they are rather light, even when full. I also have two Walter Kidde 72s and they are even lighter, about like an AL80. My three Healthways tanks are negative from full right through to empty. All three are stamped "HJ" indicating they were made for Healthways. But who made them? I know WK didn't and I'm just as sure PST didn't. Was Worthington in business then?

Norris most likely, look for an N inside a diamond stamp between the original hydro month and year.

Yep. The N inside a diamond is right there on all of them. So, now I know to look for Norris tanks and snap 'em up. Thanks, Cap'n!

I have a Norris 3AA2250 tank here, I don't think you'd be wanting to snap it up with NZ to US shipping prices :p I'm thinking of selling my SCUBA kit as I am leaving for a year or more in China, and picking up new kit when I get back.

Feel like paying international shipping? :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom