Heartburn near the end of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obesity is a risk factor for heartburn but like other RF they are not absolute nor true for everyone. Without knowing more about you it was a reasonable suggestion.

I don't believe anyone has recommended skipping breakfast but rather be smart in your choices and don't overdo it.

Beverage choices are also important. Be cautious with caffeinated beverages (coffee) and the acidic OJ you mentioned on your SI. Many can get away with this but not everyone. What may trigger heartburn in one diver may be perfectly fine in another. Keep track of your pre dive meals and you may find a pattern.

An H2 blocker such as Zantac is a great idea for occasional dive related heartburn and should be taken 1 to 2 hours before diving. The addition of an antacid such as Tums or Mylanta just before leaving for the boat can also be beneficial and can be used in combination with the H2. If you are on an extended dive trip, it might be useful to start a PPI such as Prilosec a week or so prior to your trip and continue until the diving is over.

And of course be aware of your position in the water.

Before my boat dives in the morning, the wife and I eat a sensible breakfast. Eggs, toast, juice, stuff like that. I remember from previous trips that I would get a little heartburn at the end of a dive but on the trip we just returned from it seemed a little more pronounced.

Basically the last 10 minutes of the dive or so. Wasn't super bad, just annoying. I asked the wife this time and to my surprise she said its common for her too. Also happenens on the second dive. During the surface interval I eat a banana or orange and drink a bottle of water.

is this common? Any quick fixes out there for it?

I don't get heartburn often but it's usually related to what I ate prior to the dive. Try skipping the banana and if you ate at McDonalds within 48 hours of the dive then... yeah...

R..

I get heartburn frequently while diving and I've figured out my trigger foods. Number one seems to be carrots! I would always eat them in my car en route to the dive site... And always have heartburn. Once I cut them out the symptoms subsided.

I just experiment a lot with what I eat. Orange juice right before a dive is an issue but if I have some and then drive an hour or so then it's ok. I added Tums to my dive kit and will chew a tablet to help manage the symptoms.

I'm not terribly overweight but I have awful reflux. I take pantoprazole plus two 150mg ranitidine a day. I've found that eating lightly can help but I have never been able to go without medication. I don't notice much difference related to food choices but overeating and ibuprofen will make things much worse for me.
The worst case of reflux I've ever seen was in a twenty year old, very thin soldier. I think we ended up medically boarding him out of the Army, after he had surgery to try to lessen the reflux.
Make sure you get checked by a doctor if you have bad heartburn. Many times, cardiac issues can masquerade as heartburn. Also, reflux can cause pre-cancerous changes to the esophagus over time. ( Barret's esophagitis).

Maybe certain foods are a trigger for heartburn, but you're only feeling it underwater for some reason. Personally, most fruit juices are too acidic for me, as well as tomatoes. I'd recommend, as was mentioned before, changing up what you eat for breakfast.

You are swallowing some seawater. This will give you acid indigestion. N

Omeprazole works great, I have taken it for years prescribed by doctor, but you can buy over the counter Costco sells it.
I now take one pill per month +/-, I don't get much burning at all anymore, and I eat spicy hot foods every day.

Interesting question and great answers. I thought I was the only one who got heartburn at the end of my dives (on vacation). I have been diving for 17 years. BTW, I am overweight (but I am 7lbs down and 6 more to go to my next target!). I dive about 6 times per month (drysuit, in the snow/rain/30+f degree temps in the winter). No issues. But when I go on vacation...we do 20-24 dives in 6 days and by the 3rd day or so, I have heartburn at the end of every dive. I figured it was what I had for food. Home: cereal. vacation: bagel or a roll with gouda cheese (no meat). No soda or coffee....just water. Home Lunch: burrito/soup/salad and water. vacation lunch: pb/jelly sandwich or roll with gouda cheese. and pringles/ Every Bonaire vacation needs pringles. :) Sometimes a single soda in the afternoon.

So I am assuming it was my food choices on vacation that cause my heartburn. but it sucks....I will try adding tums to my save a dive kit. Thanks!

Last cold water dive: 2 days ago in 37 degree temps. No issues. Next warm water dive? 5 weeks, 3 days...but who is counting? CocoView here we come with our tums!

When I used to drink I would get heartburn more frequently diving. If I don't drink any alcohol the night before diving, I can eat a pepperoni pizza on the boat before a dive and won't get heartburn.

Free diving is another story. I can't eat anything within 4 hours of diving or I will get bad heartburn going up and down.
I've noticed that some muscle relaxers give me heartburn,too. And, ibuprofen gives me instant pain.

Agreed... swallowing air can be an issue... Bananas also cause heartburn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom