heated socks! maybe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used those air activated chemical heat packs and those regeneratable gel heat packs with good results. They make the chemical ones foot shaped to fit on the underside of your foot. I've also used them in my dry gloves. They really help take the cold edge off.

I'm with others on here who are not comfortable with electrical stuff in my dry suit. I've gotten wet too many times to even consider that.

gedunk once bubbled...
I've used those air activated chemical heat packs and those regeneratable gel heat packs with good results. They make the chemical ones foot shaped to fit on the underside of your foot. I've also used them in my dry gloves. They really help take the cold edge off.

I'm with others on here who are not comfortable with electrical stuff in my dry suit. I've gotten wet too many times to even consider that.

Be EXTREMELY careful using the chemical heat pads, especially if you are diving Nitrox and using it in your drysuit. The increased oxygen causes them to get really hot. I know a guy who had blisters on his back from this scenario.

Chris H once bubbled...

Be EXTREMELY careful using the chemical heat pads, especially if you are diving Nitrox and using it in your drysuit. The increased oxygen causes them to get really hot. I know a guy who had blisters on his back from this scenario.
On straight air, I dbl-back tape a large one to my chest between layers, right where the inflater button is. Every time I add air to my suit I get a nice warm blast.

Chris H once bubbled...

Well i don't know about the hotter on nitrox thing, i've never noticed that, but i agree it isn't advisable to place these heat packs directly against your skin. They make little cloth covers for them or you can DIY your own.

I have a couple old t-shirts that i sewed heater pockets in right above my kidneys. Works even better if you sew a little crotch strap on, to stop the t-shirt from hiking up away from your kidneys.

Ive been a hunter since I was old enough to walk. Electric socks for hunters have been around for decades. But they have been VERY tempremental.

Someones always building a better mousetrap though. Im sure they will eventually build a good one. Just be aware of the track record and I wouldnt spend a lot. Think of them as very short lived when you factor in the cost to own them.

You can always find something similar in hunting outfitter catalogs. Cabela's or Bass Pro is a good place to start.

The only electrical heaters I have heard good things about use the same type cannister that is used for dive lights.

I sure wouldn't want a battery pack left unsupervised inside my drysuit.

Motorcycle riders and snowmobilers use things like this and the places they get the heaters may be good resources for DIY applications. I did a web search on it a few years ago and found a bunch of homebrew heaters.

Back
Top Bottom