Heating a tank up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete once bubbled...
Learning here - I was under the impression that a tank could only be condemned via a failed hydro (and a failed viz = re-hydro.) Can a LDS actually condemn a cylinder on viz failure alone?
Short answer, yes... but the way to handle it for your customer is "Your tank has failed visual inspection. I can send it out to hydro to make sure if you want, but it'll fail that too and you'll just be out the hydro money as well. Or I can just condemn it here for you... it's your call."
Rick

The place we all go to for Hydro's around here only charge you a fee if your Hydro passes inspection. If the tank fails and must be condemmed, then NO CHARGE. It works for us.
:sharky:

Strick once bubbled...
The place we all go to for Hydro's around here only charge you a fee if your Hydro passes inspection. If the tank fails and must be condemmed, then NO CHARGE. It works for us.
:sharky:
Do they keep the tank? Or hope to?
Rick

They give the tank back, but as you well guess, the DOT numbers and other tank info is all XXXXX'ed out. They will dispose of it if you want though. One guy made a interesting bell out of one of his failed tanks, by cutting it in half. hehehe
=-)

roakey once bubbled...
There’s not ifs, ands or buts in this case; the cylinder must be condemned. Using a cold chisel you quite obviously strike out the DOT markings on the cylinder (you DID of course get a signed release from the customer before hand stating that their cylinder could be condemned and rendered unusable, didn’t you?)

This answered my question perfectly. Thanks Roak. All of my cylinders are new and have only had one VIP and no hydro (other than original) so I have never gone through this process. Thanks for enlightening me.

Strick once bubbled...
One guy made a interesting bell out of one of his failed tanks, by cutting it in half. hehehe
=-)
They make the most wonderful (albeit somewhat large) wind chimes you can imagine. By cutting away more or less of the cylinder bottom you can get the most beautiful, full resonant notes in different keys...
Rick

Iguana Don once bubbled...
A 500lb set of wind chimes.
But a set of five probably comes close to a hundred pounds...
Rick

I was wondering about this. How hot is too hot for a tank? I've been pretty careful to keep tanks out of cars in the sun and the like.

How much heat can a full tank be exposed to without starting to be a problem??

sillygrendel once bubbled...
I was wondering about this. How hot is too hot for a tank? I've been pretty careful to keep tanks out of cars in the sun and the like.

How much heat can a full tank be exposed to without starting to be a problem??
The only problem you're likely to get from the sun is a blistered hand when you try to carry the tank. And if you started with a hot fill in the first place you might rupture a burst disc. Metalurgically damaging temps are pretty high - above 300 degrees F if my memory is correct.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom