Heavy Backplate ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RUFUST

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a heavier(thicker)than normal backplate.I need a couple extra pounds.I think I have heard of them but can't seem to find info.Any info out there?

RUFUST:
I am looking for a heavier(thicker)than normal backplate.I need a couple extra pounds.I think I have heard of them but can't seem to find info.Any info out there?

There are two approaches you can consider ...

1) A backplate made of thicker metal ... such as a custom FredT plate
2) Screw-in weights that will make a standard plate heavier ... such as Deep Sea Supply makes

Both FredT and Tobin George (cool_hardware52) of Deep Sea Supply are members of the board. I would recommend contacting them both, consider the options they offer, and make your decision accordingly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As you wish. Hammer Head backplates at hammerheadscuba.com. I have used my for over sixty dives. I have been very, very happy with it. They also gurantee the comfort of there plates.

email FredT @ ftagge@goldinc.com for his current price list. You won't find a better plate anywhere.

Though he can probably make you a plate at whatever weight you require, his standard plates are:

11 gauge short 6 lbs
11 gauge long 6 lbs
11 gauge extra long 7 lbs
.188SST short 9 lbs
.188SST long 9lbs
.188SST extra long 12 lbs
1/4" short 11 lbs
1/4" long 12 lbs
3/8" short 15 lbs
3/8" long 17 lbs

Also, you can mix and match various P and V weights.

Another option would be something different... like Tobin's solution to weighting plates... http://www.deepseasupply.com/page8.html

Here are a few pics of a standard weight SS Halcyon plate and a FredT .188SST 9 lb. plate side by side and stacked.

OMS promotes stacking plates to add weight to your rig, but that limits to 6# increments, I guess that can be done with any plate as long is the same brand.

I think a Custom Fred T or Tobins Weight Sytem can be fine tuned.

Stephen Ash:
Here are a few pics of a standard weight SS Halcyon plate and a FredT .188SST 9 lb. plate side by side and stacked.

What are the horizontal slots near the top of the channel (similar to the crotch strap slot) in the FredT used for?

DivesWithTurtle:
What are the horizontal slots near the top of the channel (similar to the crotch strap slot) in the FredT used for?

I have no idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom