Helium Billing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccrprospect

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it normal on a rebreather dive for a dive center to bill you for the entire fill of diluent/bailout helium even if you only end up using 10-20 percent of it (or in the case of bailout, none of it). If yes, wouldn’t they be banking that helium somewhere and re-selling again for another customer? P.S. it’s their tanks so I don’t get to keep them with me.

The shops here in cave country charge you by the cubic foot. You pay for what you use only.

I think they should not charge you for all of it.

Hi,

Is it normal on a rebreather dive for a dive center to bill you for the entire fill of diluent/bailout helium even if you only end up using 10-20 percent of it (or in the case of bailout, none of it). If yes, wouldn’t they be banking that helium somewhere and re-selling again for another customer? P.S. it’s their tanks so I don’t get to keep them with me.
Yeo … on your last day get air fill to dil and off board your dil from bailouts …. Unfortunately, it’s a little extra free kick you end up having to give your teck dive centre, and is a cost born by you diving teck in remote centre’s.

Depends on how many tanks the dive center has. It broke my heart when I had to dispose of deep bailout tanks to make sure the oc group next week has enough deco stages.
Especially hurt when I was not the one breathing the helium for free.

The shops here in cave country charge you by the cubic foot. You pay for what you use only.

I think they should not charge you for all of it.

Not the last time my students had to get 21/35 bailout in AL80s. The only shop that had helium at that time (Cave Country) charged them for the gas in full even though nothing was used.

Pretty sure the shop will be reselling the helium to another customer.

Totally depends on the shops policy.

As long as they are up front about it then it kind of is what it is.

Hi,

When I rented a 40cf cylinder of 21/35 from Technical Diving Services in Bonaire for off-board dil, I assumed I would be paying for the entire cylinder. I was pleasantly surprised when settling my bill that they only charged me for the gas used.

Up here one shop charges 10 dollars to hook up for special fills plus the per cubic feet for gas.

One doesn’t have a booster so they can't do just top offs, they drain the tanks and then fill them.

Totally depends on the shops policy.

As long as they are up front about it then it kind of is what it is.
They are, and apparently other shops are doing it as well (see post above re cave country). Just not sure I understand the fairness of it, especially if they have a booster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom