Helium Shortage has ended ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even as an American Scientist, it still baffles me that we're not metric.

Because the juice of converting isn't worth the squeeze, particularly in the modern era. The benefits of the metric system were minor before you could just google "10 cubic feet to gallons." While there is at least three different definition of gallons, only one is used in the US by average people.

With exception of temperature (haven't gotten quite the feel for the middle of the scale, ie jacket weather vs shorts weather) I can easily work in both systems, and I don't see the benefits of one or the other for everyday life.

@Manatee Diver, Seriously, the metric system is not difficult. In science, standardization is critical. That aside, I was just having a bit of fun in my post!

No it isn't hard, in fact I use metric a lot, but neither are the rough conversions that you use for everyday life. We aren't launching probes to Mars, 500 feet for a tenth of a mile is close enough. For more exact conversion you use a calculator/google or you should already be using SI units.

It just comes down to the value in the change for the public at large and it is really limited.

Heck I was at Lowes a couple of years ago, and a pair of Germans asked me how many meters some shed they had was. I told them just take the feet and divide by three, and you have something close enough to meters.

I pay 53 cents per cubic foot
Consider yourself lucky, about $2 here (depending on volumes) and $3/cf in the great lakes area.

Consider yourself lucky, about $2 here (depending on volumes) and $3/cf in the great lakes area.

$4/cft at one shop in the western Chicago suburbs and $5/cft in WI.

Even as an American Scientist, it still baffles me that we're not metric.
As an Electronic Engineer I like Metric for somethings and hate it for others.
Fahrenheit vs Celsius is a prime example. It's easier thinking out certain engineering problems in Celsius because the freezing point of water is 0 and boiling point is 100 vs 32 and 212 in imperial. The flip side is that your losing almost half the resolution of the number if it's displayed without a decimal point. Another example is Bars VS PSI. I like the extra resolution that you typically get when displaying a reading in PSI vs Bars.

Now who the Hell came up with reading weight in Stones :facepalm:

$4/cft at one shop in the western Chicago suburbs and $5/cft in WI.
Neither @Superlyte27 nor myself get dive shop trimix fills. $3/cf is roughly the Airgas pricing in MN. You could buy a booster or a CCR with the markup those shops are charging.

That's quite obvious. Physics Today is a journal of high scientific level, attempting to divulgate the latest research topics also to not-scientists.
Scientific journals require that all papers submitted employ SI units since at least 20 years....
As a scientist, I really cannot understand why US does not officially adhere to the SI units.
Because it’s more fun constantly trying to figure out if the Allen wrench in your stash is metric or imperial

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom