Hello from a National Parks lover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qtluong

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from San Jose, CA. I am a photographer and author. I have dived in locations ranging from the Monterey Bay to the Great Barrier Reef. However, my focus for the past two decades has been the U.S. national parks. I was the first to photograph all 63 of them, the subject of my best-selling photography book Treasured Lands (winner of 12 national and international awards). Since for some of the national parks, you would be missing out if you stayed only above the surface, I used underwater photography to augment my landscape photographs, first starting with a Nikon's V, and then moving to a housing with a DSLR.

Here are three images from Channel Islands National Park taken from Treasured Lands.

Attachments

• chis11603.large.jpeg
    chis11603.large.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 19
  • chis62689.large.jpeg
    chis62689.large.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 15
  • chis62699.large.jpeg
    chis62699.large.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 15
Magnificent effort dude

Have you found when diving some locations that the landscape follows you into the water

Nice! Just purchased your e-book! US national parks have always fascinated me although I can only dream of visiting them someday. I love those vast empty expanses and landscapes… they fill me with a sense of longing and yearning to be there.

Hopefully someday sooner than later…

Greetings from San Jose, CA. I am a photographer and author. I have dived in locations ranging from the Monterey Bay to the Great Barrier Reef. However, my focus for the past two decades has been the U.S. national parks. I was the first to photograph all 63 of them, the subject of my best-selling photography book Treasured Lands (winner of 12 national and international awards). Since for some of the national parks, you would be missing out if you stayed only above the surface, I used underwater photography to augment my landscape photographs, first starting with a Nikon's V, and then moving to a housing with a DSLR.
Whats been your favorite place to dive along your travels?

Magnificent effort dude

Have you found when diving some locations that the landscape follows you into the water
Do you mean by that a continuity between the above-water and underwater environments? I've experienced that in mangrove forests, but they are snorkeling territory rather than diving.

Nice! Just purchased your e-book! US national parks have always fascinated me although I can only dream of visiting them someday. I love those vast empty expanses and landscapes… they fill me with a sense of longing and yearning to be there.

Hopefully someday sooner than later…
Thank you! I hope that you get to visit soon. I guess for you the most interesting region to visit would be the Colorado Plateau and some of the deserts.

Whats been your favorite place to dive along your travels?
It's difficult to say because they are all so different and unique in their own ways (like the national parks), but as an adopted California, I'd have to say the kelp forests of the Channel Islands for the feeling of floating in a 3D forest and the playful sea lions.

QT Your work looks very interesting! I'll be checking it out further. I have to say that the underwater aspect is an unusual but welcome addition in the genre. And two of your Waterfalls stamps are old friends!

FWIW your "treasuredlandsproject.com" link from your terragalleria.com site is not working. I was hoping to see if you had a exhibition location within reach!

Since you photographed in FL, I was wondering if you had had the opportunity to meet Clyde and Niki Butcher? Glorious work and some of the nicest people I have ever met. I have had the privilege to visit with them at their Venice gallery and to camp & photograph with them in Death Valley. Lugging parts of a 12x20 rig out into the dunes, and observing the composition and exposure selection by "gut", was an uplifting but humbling experience. Clyde's "America the Beautiful" has a similar conceptual vibe but is not National Park/Monument specific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom