Hello from Arizona!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@diversteve
Sam does this - it's El Mar not Del. LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yer correct ! Del Mar is a horse racing track in Kalifornia.....

El Mar is the correct name
Drop by and chat with Gene, the shop's founder who turned the operation over to his daughter and now has time on his hands and hangs around the shop..
Check out the gold plated JBL presentation gun - very few - less than 50 presented, and now with the passage of time only a hand full remain.

You can also read my article about the gun published in my dedicated column "The way it was" so many years ago in the now defunct Discover Diving. (Do you remember DD?-- it was a national diving magazine )

When diving Puerto Penasco aka Rocky Point there is a very narrow band of time to dive it due to the run off of the Colorado river, which with my tribe and many other tribes in SoCal was in the winter when run off was curtailed by winter snows. Immediately after the snow began to melt it became a mud hole. I suspect a lot has changed in 50 or more years-- I certainly have

Sam Miller, III

@diversteve

Thanks for all the info! It definitely seems like a solid destination, and not having to fly to the other side of the continent is a definite plus.

I've bought some gear from Summit, but haven't yet been diving with them. Lake Mohave.. I'd never even thought to dive it, but why not. It's definitely close enough to check out.

@Sam Miller III

You guys have me sold on El Mar. I just need to accrue some more vacation time..

No luck finding the article.. Unfortunately the phrase "Discover Diving" causes google to get real excited and spit out a bunch of training classes.

I did however do some reading on what you've done to earn the Legendary status.. I must say, it really is an honor to BS with you. And I too once had my face stitched back on with too many stitches to count, but I was just getting drunk and flapping my mouth a bit too much, not pioneering an industry!

-Ross

Lake Mohave.. I'd never even thought to dive it, but why not. It's definitely close enough to check out.
It tends to be green but it's usually pretty clear except when the Colorado raises the level in the spring - it's a dirty, silty river.
Some of the Vegas area shops go there also and I believe there's still a shop in Bullhead City.

Drop by and chat with Gene, the shop's founder who turned the operation over to his daughter and now has time on his hands and hangs around the shop..
I do see Gene occasionally - and Tania his daughter. A friend of mine works there as well.
They're my go to Atomic dealer and I usually manage to get there for their spring sale. Plus their tech - David Hayes - is one of the best in town.

I think we've had this conversation before...

You guys have me sold on El Mar.
Honestly IMO the best shop in town. And I live in NW Phoenix so pass about 10 others to get there.

Definitely the most brands/stock. Also no hard sell, I've twice seen them sell a less expensive option than what the buyer thought they needed - once to my buddy.

And since you'd be driving down - all freeway except for the last mile.

Yep, El Mar is good stuff.

@Gnarcosis

You guys have me sold on El Mar. I just need to accrue some more vacation time..

A visit to El Mar is worth the tine and effort- It is a great long term well established shop with very knowledgeable honest personnel. Often a rarity in the diving world..

No luck finding the article.. Unfortunately the phrase "Discover Diving" causes google to get real excited and spit out a bunch of training classes.
I assume you are referring to my article "The Man with the Golden Gun " which is framed and hanging on the wall at El Mar next to "The Golden gun" as part of the display.

My article "The Magnificent Gas gun" about making Barada CO2 gas powered guns during Korea might take a bit of searching due to its age. I have copies "some where?' My daughters are attempting to some how some way make logical sense out of my articles which I began publishing almost 60 years ago with all the publications are now defunct and fold it into a memoir.

I did however do some reading on what you've done to earn the Legendary status.. I must say, it really is an honor to BS with you. And I too once had my face stitched back on with too many stitches to count, but I was just getting drunk and flapping my mouth a bit too much, not pioneering an industry!

Ross We all are just a bunch of lousy divers united by a common interest...some will inform out hesitation you via the written word or in person inform how great they are-- but in reality " We all are just a bunch of lousy divers..."

You might want to check out the following thread

~~ XChttps://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/sam-miller-iii-scubaboards-first-scuba-legend.546182/ ~~~

May I suggest that you read in its entirety - Especially the NAUI article about me and son Sam IV, who is a NAUI Life time instructor, a PADI instructor a SSI Pro 5000 ( Only 3 father son Pro 5000s) and a ER & Hyperbaric Doctor-- (gosh O geee)

If i can ever be of assistance don't hesitate to contact me

Cheers from California
Sam III

CC -- now you know....
@JohnnyC
@diversteve

@Marie13 CE

Honestly IMO the best shop in town. And I live in NW Phoenix so pass about 10 others to get there.

Definitely the most brands/stock. Also no hard sell, I've twice seen them sell a less expensive option than what the buyer thought they needed - once to my buddy.

And since you'd be driving down - all freeway except for the last mile.

Awesome.. I'm stoked to give them a look. I live in Flag, as in my address is there, but I spend 320+ days a year on the road, so can't make it down the 17 as easily as I once could. That said, I slow down towards the end of the year, so should be able to get in there before the new year.

A visit to El Mar is worth the tine and effort- It is a great long term well established shop with very knowledgeable honest personnel. Often a rarity in the diving world..

I assume you are referring to my article "The Man with the Golden Gun " which is framed and hanging on the wall at El Mar next to "The Golden gun" as part of the display.

My article "The Magnificent Gas gun" about making Barada CO2 gas powered guns during Korea might take a bit of searching due to its age. I have copies "some where?' My daughters are attempting to some how some way make logical sense out of my articles which I began publishing almost 60 years ago with all the publications are now defunct and fold it into a memoir.

Ross We all are just a bunch of lousy divers united by a common interest...some will inform out hesitation you via the written word or in person inform how great they are-- but in reality " We all are just a bunch of lousy divers..."

You might want to check out the following thread

~~ XChttps://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/sam-miller-iii-scubaboards-first-scuba-legend.546182/ ~~~

May I suggest that you read in its entirety - Especially the NAUI article about me and son Sam IV, who is a NAUI Life time instructor, a PADI instructor a SSI Pro 5000 ( Only 3 father son Pro 5000s) and a ER & Hyperbaric Doctor-- (gosh O geee)

If i can ever be of assistance don't hesitate to contact me

Cheers from California
Sam III

Sam, next time they let me go home I'll make a trip.

I was indeed referring to "The Man with the Golden Gun." Was hoping to find it online, but just more reason to make it over to the shop.

I would love to read that memoir one day.. Hopefully they can figure it all out!

That thread is where I realized who I was talking to! You have certainly earned the 'Legend' title, and must be very proud of your son!

I appreciate that, and will likely take you up on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom