Hello from Az

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJSmith84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello-
Newbie here from Goodyear, AZ.

I recently got my Padi open water Cert. last month and have been reading a lot of discussions on the board here. Tons of info!

This weekend will be my first dive being cert. We are going to Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach. Going with a couple of friends that are divemasters. They are the ones that have been buging me to get into the sport.

I cant wait.

I have already purchased an aqualung aquaflex 7mm suit, aqualung boots, h2odssey mask and aeris velocity x3 fins with spring straps. Picking up my gloves and hood when i get to cali; as most dive shops here in az by me did not have anything thicker than 2-3mm.

Now need to buy all the $$$ stuff.

So I look forward to picking your guys brains on some stuff; as im going to be buying the rest of my gear here soon.

-Kyle

I heard that the temperature in Arizona is around 105 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) now. That's plenty of motivation to go for a splash. Too bad you're not closer to the water, though, but 5-6 hours away isn't the worst.

I'm sure you'll find most of the gear help you need by searing the Basic Discussion and New Divers forums...or you could browse the specific equipment forums.

I heard that the temperature in Arizona is around 105 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) now. That's plenty of motivation to go for a splash. Too bad you're not closer to the water, though, but 5-6 hours away isn't the worst.

I'm sure you'll find most of the gear help you need by searing the Basic Discussion and New Divers forums...or you could browse the specific equipment forums.

Yeah was a 113 the other day. No biggie thou im used to it. Gives me a reason to either take the boat out or go out of town every weekend. :wink:

Yeah I have been browsing the equipment forums.

Seems like alot like the hog regulators?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

HOG's are DIN. Most rental tanks are Yoke. Not a big issue if you're going to be buying your own tanks eventually - but for now you'll need a din->yoke converter in many locations - especially the warmer ones. I'd guess you could probably rent DIN tanks in SoCal, but around here they're pretty hard to find. Maybe Academy of Scuba (I-17/Dunlap) has some with the dual (insert) valves. I don't think you'd find any in San Carlos either.

Also currently the only HOG dealer in AZ is Tech Diving Ltd. in Havasu. So you'll be sending your reg out for service somewhere - either to them or Scubatoys. Eventually if/when you get a tech cert. (required) you can take the HOG class then rebuild your own if desired.

Edge gear is HOG's yoke line. Regulators

I'd stick with something they sell at Inland locally - or one of the other local shops. Makes servicing easier for now.

Last edited:
welcome..I am a newbie also.. getting certified and heading to La Jolla for first dive..

Hello-
Newbie here from Goodyear, AZ.

I recently got my Padi open water Cert. last month and have been reading a lot of discussions on the board here. Tons of info!

This weekend will be my first dive being cert. We are going to Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach. Going with a couple of friends that are divemasters. They are the ones that have been buging me to get into the sport.

I cant wait.

I have already purchased an aqualung aquaflex 7mm suit, aqualung boots, h2odssey mask and aeris velocity x3 fins with spring straps. Picking up my gloves and hood when i get to cali; as most dive shops here in az by me did not have anything thicker than 2-3mm.

Now need to buy all the $$$ stuff.

So I look forward to picking your guys brains on some stuff; as im going to be buying the rest of my gear here soon.

-Kyle

Hi, Kyle....

Newly certifed PADI OW diver from Tucson here..... Maybe we can do some lake (Pleasant, Mojave) dives sometime.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom