Hello from Miami, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ofl0926

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey whats up everyone... i am new to the forum and new to scuba diving as well... i got my open water done in Guam which was amazing and just fell in love with this hobby... i am now lookin to purchase my first BCD and regulators to continue enjoying my new hobby... all input is welcome as far as equipment and look forward to hearing from all of you and sharing stories

oscar

welcome to the boards, i would recommend renting gear and if you can borrow gear from friends until you figure out some of what you like. every shop prettymuch rents different gear so you can get a decent variety to see if you like mares, scubapro, oceanic or whatever and kinda make a more educated decission to what you like most. Back inflate BC's and Backplate wings usually arnt availible that easily to rent either but you might be able to borrow one or some shops have a trial policy to see if you like the gear.

welcome to the boards, i would recommend renting gear and if you can borrow gear from friends until you figure out some of what you like. every shop prettymuch rents different gear so you can get a decent variety to see if you like mares, scubapro, oceanic or whatever and kinda make a more educated decission to what you like most. Back inflate BC's and Backplate wings usually arnt availible that easily to rent either but you might be able to borrow one or some shops have a trial policy to see if you like the gear.

i see that your in florida as well. i greatly appreciate your input... what shops would you recommend me checking out... are there in good shops in south florida for purchases or is it better to purchase online

There are good shops all around Miami. Where in Miami are you?

i would recommend going to local shops unless they are outragously priced and wont come close to online prices. If a shop sells you something they are more likely to help you with problems associated to it than if you ordered online. If it is just outa warrenty they may fix for parts plus labor wages for the tech just to keep you that much happier where if its purchased online they are more likely to charge you for everything they can. It depends on where you are for local shops, Divers direct watch out for some of their "low prices" Force-e is usually good, Main thing is find somewhere near by that will treat you like they are actually concerned and not just trying to sell you the most expensive or their favorite stuff. Call around some of the local ones and see what they carry and stop in if convinient and have gear your interested in to see if you personally like them. Just remember YOUR gear is YOURS and not a clone of what some one else wants or has, there are some features some people like that others dont, so dont let the sales people just stear you to one or 2 items get multiple suggestions, ask questions, figure out what you like for your applications once you get a good idea of what you want, try finding a rental or way to try and see which is your favorite.

There is a good shop at Kendall and 127th, on the southeast corner. If you keep on going down Kendall, you can get to Austins, on South Dixie and about 105th. On Bird (SW 40th street) and Red (SW 57th Avenue) is Underwater Unlimited, and if you want a Scuba Pro shop, I can't think of the name, but it just west of downtown Miami. There are several more around the county, but that should get you started.

There is a good shop at Kendall and 127th, on the southeast corner. If you keep on going down Kendall, you can get to Austins, on South Dixie and about 105th. On Bird (SW 40th street) and Red (SW 57th Avenue) is Underwater Unlimited, and if you want a Scuba Pro shop, I can't think of the name, but it just west of downtown Miami. There are several more around the county, but that should get you started.

my friend, thanks for the input... i sent you a pm back... let me know

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom