Hello from Northern CA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Scubaboarders,

Long time listener, first time caller.

After some particularly awesome snorkeling adventures in Maui this summer, my wife and I decided to take the plunge into diving. We’re nearly done with a 5-week / 40-hour NAUI OW course and are doing our checkout dives in Monterey next weekend and the following.

Suffice it to say: we’re already thoroughly addicted. We’re heading to Fiji for 3 weeks next month and hope to get a good 20-30 dives in, then are heading to Cozumel in 2019.

A couple quick questions:
  • Should I get a BP/W or a jacket-style BC?
  • Do you recommend a Suunto Zoop Novo or a Shearwater Perdix?
  • Which is better? NAUI, PADI, or SSI?
  • Will I die if I choose split fins?
  • The best cutting device is a BFK, right?
:poke::popcorn:

Just kidding; please don’t answer those questions, really.

In all seriousness, I’m incredibly grateful for the wealth of knowledge and experience on this board. On behalf of the silent majority of lurkers: thank you. My wife and I have learned so much from you. To answer my own questions from above, our decisions ended up being... BC? Zeagle Express Tech. DC? Oceanic Geo 2.0. Fins? Mares Avanti Quattro. Regulator? Apeks XTX50. BFK? Nope, trilobite + surgical shears. Plus all the requisite safety gear… now we just need to avoid looking like xmas trees!

So anyway, pleasure to meet you and thanks again.

have a nice time in fiji. practice shooting your dsmb before the trip. maybe get some neoprene pocket shorts for holding stuff if you don't have pockets on the zeagle.

Thanks, runsongas!

We'll be doing a couple more Monterey dives before Fiji and are indeed planning to practice shooting our dsmbs. We're going to of course dive very conservatively in Fiji (staying within the limits of our training, avoiding "trust me" dives, etc.), but will have dsmbs, mirrors, storm whistles, and PLB in case sh** hits the proverbial fan.

Good call on the pocket recommendation; we have a few different pockets en route and will see what works the best (DGX thigh pocket, Apeks tech shorts, etc.).

howdy and welcome from southeast florida.....i see you have boned up on your SB required reading.

Back
Top Bottom