hello, soon to be diver from canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubiedoo

Reaction score
hello,

soon to be new diver... sooooooo excited for the course.. going to take an open water course to start off...

i got a question, since i'm going to have to buy the basic equipement (mask, weight belt, snorkle and fins) do you recommend a buy a wetsuit or a drysuit... meaning can you guys tell me the difference bewee the two?

thx

:)

welcome to the board...

As for wet or dry. It really depends on where and when you're planning on doing your diving. If you want to do alot of local dives for most of the year I'd go right to a dry suit -- thats what I did but my local dives are mountain lakes, not sure where you're at. Wet suits may be fine for most places even in Canada usually only summer unless you're hot blooded.

A wet suit allows water to seep inside the suit; the body heats the water up and uses the water as an insulator. A good fitting wet suit restricts water flowing into and out of the suit during the dive. A dry suit is designed to be "water tight" or dry; insulation for it is worn in the form of undergarments.

Ultimately I'd wait untill you're well into your course and the instructor has explained each a bit better as well as what different environments may interest you.

Good luck!

yeah i can't wait i'm sooooooooo excited!!!!

in canada it's pretty cold... i mean the st.lawrence river and all and up in ontario as well so i'm gunna wait but looks like i'm gunna be going for a dry suit. how much does a decent to a good dry suit cost around?

Actually the St Lawerence in the summer is what I'd consider warm. Lake Huron and Superior however stay pretty cool to say the least.

For a decent entry level suit with inflator hose and undergarmets you're probably looking at about $800-$1300 new. Wet suits are significantly cheaper

Cold? It all depends on what you're comfortable with. St Lawrence right now is siting in the 18-22C range. I think that's quite warm -- though I have friends in Florida who think it's too cold to go diving.

With temps like that, I know divers who go in with shorties, and 3mms.

If you complete your profile a bit more, folks in your neighbourhood can help you out with conditions in the waters you're like to visit (though I suspect, that you are in Ontario with mentioning the St Lawrence).

Welcome, and let us all know how you do with your course.

i travel up to quebec sometimes by the st.lauwrence so that's why i was talking about. local dives are done in barrie, simco, etc.

yeah it is pretty warm right now...but if you go up higher in the lauwrence, it starts to get ben ben froid! (cold in other words).

i wish i had that much money so i'm gunna stick the rec for now! lol! until i become so professor or something :p:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom