Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furphy

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new diver - I did my PADI OW in November last year and I have around 20 dives logged. All so far have been around Sydney (Australia). I've been putting off doing the advanced course, but I think it's time to bite the bullet as there are several dives I really want to redo at night, and I'd like to do some deeper diving.

While I have your attention, does anyone else have problems with fish following them around? Sure, everyone who dives a well used spot in the appropriate parts of the world is bound to make friends with a big blue grouper at some point (I had one who I'm sure was trying to read my dive slate on Monday), but there's this one dive I've done twice now where these fish (some type of wrasse, not very big) follow me around and try to engage me in staring competitions. They'll sit a couple of inches in front of my mask and stare at me until I get bored and swim away. Sometimes they follow me.

-Furphy

Hi furphy and welcome to the boards...

I haven't got nearly enough dives logged to give you an answer to your question, but I found it very amusing. Would love to hear what others have to say.

Good luck with your advanced.

Cheers

A warm welcome to the boards.

You will find that occasionally fish will follow you around, normally because they are used to being fed. When they stare at you through your mask, this is usually because they are territorial and can see their own reflection in your mask as a potential threat.

As an aside, we had a program aired recently in the UK which showed the amazing fish life and scenery in Sydney harbour. Have you had the opportunity to dive there?

Welcome to the Boards!

Do you advanced class! You will have a ball with the fish at night. Those fish that stare at you in front of your face....you will have the most fun out of. What you do is take you light and shine it on the fish from above him and slowly rotate it to the bottom and the fish will rotate with it thinking it is the sun, so they think that is up where the light is shining. You will crack up laughing so hard! :p Diving on a starry night is cool too. Good Luck!

Dive Safe...

Aardal

Originally posted by OceanSpirit
A warm welcome to the boards.

Thanks to all who replied :)

As an aside, we had a program aired recently in the UK which showed the amazing fish life and scenery in Sydney harbour. Have you had the opportunity to dive there?

[/B]

A lot of the dive shops around here go with the claim the Sydney is the "best diving city in the world". I'm not sure how true that is, not having dived anywhere else, but it works for me.

It sometimes seems like divers here have competitions about who saw the most weedy sea dragons on a dive (very cool sea-horse type thing, about a foot long, usually found in 15-20m), and there are plenty of pretty colourful fish - especially around summer when a lot of juvenile tropical fish get washed south in the currents. Post dive conversations tend to center around what unusual/hard to find animals people saw, but I guess that's common around the world.

I've done some really good boat dives in the harbour - the wreck of the Centurion is one of the three best dives I've done, even though visibility wasn't great when we were down there (the other two are Shiprock in the southern end of Sydney and Gordons Bay in the eastern suburbs).

.... Furphy, being in Sydney. I miss it so much! Was there for 4 years but unfortunately never had the money or guts to go diving. Hearing you talk about diving in Sydney Harbour.... wow! Some day.... some day....

And let us know if you do try out Aardal's trick with the flashlight when you do your night dive - sounds great!

Cheers :)

Hi Furphy!!!!
I live in Cozumel, Mexico. There's a reef call Cedral's Pass where you can find droopers that will come near you and stared at you too. Also near by, (in the correct season) you can see turtles comming to say hello to you, they'll even let you pet them, just like the movies (but let's not forget that oficially you can't do that, turtles are protected here). Just a quit reminder, before you start the night diving, don't forget to get your rescue course.

From Paradise...

Originally posted by keralucu

I haven't got nearly enough dives logged to give you an answer to your question, but I found it very amusing. Would love to hear what others have to say.

Good luck with your advanced.

Cheers

Originally posted by liquid80
Originally posted by keralucu

hey i've been diving for awhile but after i got my masters its hard to find a job in the field i dont have a clue where to look can anyone help

thanks i appreciate it

liquid

Hi Liquid80

Sorry, can't really help as far as diving in Canada goes, but I do know it's pretty easy to get jobs in Thailand. There are hundreds (make that thousands) of dive masters who come here and spend a few months of the year working for the various dive centres around the south of Thailand.

Don't know whether that helps you or not??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom