Hello from New York City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I'm Justin from New York City. I started diving one year ago, and since then I've knocked out a bunch of specialties including dry suit & cavern. I've really enjoyed the limited wreck diving I've done in Florida and want to dive more wrecks and unique environments. I would love to find buddies and dive sites in the local NYC area. I'm a boater and have always dreamed of diving off my boat. I'm a cinematographer and I run a video production company, one day I may blend my work and diving together, but for now I'm just enjoying scuba as a separate hobby.

I saw some recommendations for Big Apple Divers - will have to check them out. I've lurked these forums this whole year as I've put together my kit and worked on skills so I'm thrilled to officially now be part of the conversation!

Cheers,
Justin

Welcome from a Yonkers native. For charter info. maybe try Scuba New York (main store in Yonkers and one in the city I think). Shore sites -- check out NY/NJ Beach diving sites (or something like that) online. Beware some info. there can be out of date.

Greetings and congrats on your certs! I loved NYC when I visited. What was your favorite wreck so far? Haven't done one yet.

Greetings and congrats on your certs! I loved NYC when I visited. What was your favorite wreck so far? Haven't done one yet.
Thanks! The wrecks I dove down in Florida were the MV Castor, Okinawa, and Lady Luck - all in south Florida off Pompano Beach. I think the Lady Luck was my favorite - we got up close and personal with some Goliath Groupers and the wreck is expansive and fun. Lady Luck is in deep water so I had limited bottom time with my single 80 tank. Would love to go back there again one day if I get a little more tech diving experience under my belt. I saw some tech divers down there with doubles and deco bottles and I was jealous of how much time they could spend down there exploring!

I think Big Apple Divers is the right group to get involved in to get started with NJ diving:

The general gist of things is there's a small handful of charter boats that run from roughly May - October. Mostly weekends. And most trips get booked by local shops or clubs, so for those charters you'll need to book through the shop/club. Checkout Gypsy Blood's schedule and you can see which trips are booked by what shops.

There are a lot of very NJ specific ways wreck dives are done, so definitely best to start with a group like Big Apple.

Cool!
I saw some tech divers down there with doubles and deco bottles and I was jealous of how much time they could spend down there exploring!

Just remember when you're down there with all that gear
saying look at those single tank guys enjoying themselves with out having to carry all this cumbersome stuff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom