Helmet diving, Rebreather in "The Terror" (set in 1847~).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone been watching "The Terror" on AMC? Ok show, although its starting to drag. Based on a true story, but lots of dramatic license, Im sure. Basic plot is 2 British navy ships (the "Erebus" and the "Terror") get ice-bound in far northern Canada searching for the NW Passage. That and there is an ice-demon stalking them. [Serves them right for mis-treating the indigenous folk]

So in the first episode, a diver must repair the screws. He dons the classic diving helmet w/ porthole, canvas suit, and what looks like a primitive rebreather.

Anyone know the historicity of this? I see that single diver rebreathers may have been in use since the early 1800s. When did the British Navy start outfitting their ships w/ diving equipment? 1847 seems very early.

It looked more like a rebreather. It was a small canvas bag worn on the chest - similar looking to the rebreathers I have seen used by early 20th century submarine crews. I didn't see any solid tanks or surface supplied hoses.

Its very likely that this was dramatic license, and the actual British expedition in 1847 didn't have diving equipment on board. Moreover, it was extreme sub-freezing temperature (enough to ice-lock the ships), so I don't know if anyone could have actually survived such a dive.

Back
Top Bottom