Help: Any dive boats going out on Christmas day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies guys. It is much appreciated. I called Captain Hook's, Captain Slate (they were not sure if they were going out at that time) and Sea Experience Inc in Fort Lauderdale.

I am from Michigan and any place that has some color and isn't filled with zebra mussels is heaven to me. I loved diving in the Molasses reef last year and I am looking forward to diving in the keys again. I have already decided to dive the Looe keys the day after Christmas but Jupiter/Ft Lauderdale/Palm beach looks interesting. How does it compare to the keys as far as variety of fish/big fish goes? Is December the season for anything?

West Palm Beach to Jupiter is large marine life heaven. In December, the Lemon sharks aggregate in large numbers.

In Jupiter, you're likely to see resident Goliath Groupers on some of the reefs and the wrecks: they are not aggregating to spawn any longer but many sites have 2-8 that seem to hang out all the time (I'm thinking of Tunnels reef, Zion train wreck, Mispah wreck, etc.). You're also more likely to see sharks: reef sharks, nurse sharks and sometimes bull sharks. The Lemon sharks may also be aggregating as well, though I've not personally experienced the Lemon aggregation since weather/marine conditions have blown out every trip I've tried to take to see them over the past few years. While the Keys have plenty of turtles, Jupiter can be 'crawling' with them. I've been on some dives where we've seen dozens as we drift up the reef line.

I love diving the Keys and Jupiter: but the experience is different. In Jupiter, you'll be doing all your dives as drift dives which, in and of iteself, is a fun experience and worth the trip. Combine that with the probability that you'll see large marine life and its worth a side trip on your way to the Keys. Again, the Keys are wonderful and you'll enjoy your diving there too.

Hey Scott (or anyone)

Have the lemons begun to show yet? I want to get Maribi out to see them.

Hey Scott (or anyone)

I spoke with Gerry Carroll of JDC yesterday and he mentioned only his hope for a good season, so I am presuming not quite yet. However, their appearance is typically early/mid December...

Hey Scott (or anyone)

still too early for the lemons. i'd expect them to start showing around late December. We (Vero Beach Scuba Club) usually do a lemon dive sometime in January.

Hey this is Joe with Captain Slates Dive Center. For those looking for a Christmas day dive trip we will be running a morning boat. Feel free to call 305-451-3020 to make reservations.

I'm pretty sure I'll be diving on Christmas day, and most of the days 12/23-12/28. I've got a boat rented and I'll be staying on Islamorada. We are planning to fish and hunt for lobster. We will probably have some room on board for a few other people. If anyone is interested, let me know.

OK, I am signed up with Slate's Atlantic Dive Center for Christmas Day. Hopefully others will join me!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom