Help - Atomic or Scuba Pro ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to be aware of is Atomic second stages have a "seat saver" feature. It's pretty cool, but the downside is you're not supposed to rinse the regs in freshwater without them being pressurized on a cylinder. If you don't, water can enter the second stage and get into the LP hose.

I have no personal experience with this, so maybe others can comment on how serious a concern this is. However, I believe this is stated in the Atomic manual.

others can comment on how serious a concern this is
Not a big deal, IMO. I rinse the 1st stage first and the 2nd second. Hang to dry with 2nd lower and gravity keeps the water out.

I've also seen people rinse both at once by looping the hose over a stick across the rinse bin. Again, gravity keeps water out.

Of course, if you have a pony, deco stage, or suit inflation bottle, that is what the manual recommends.

Not a Scuba Pro fan, I'd go with any brand over SP

One thing to be aware of is Atomic second stages have a "seat saver" feature. It's pretty cool, but the downside is you're not supposed to rinse the regs in freshwater without them being pressurized on a cylinder. If you don't, water can enter the second stage and get into the LP hose.

I have no personal experience with this, so maybe others can comment on how serious a concern this is. However, I believe this is stated in the Atomic manual.

Just rinse them under pressure. There is one little thing, the Atomic air barrel being titanium is not going to corrode if you skip a rinse or two while on a trip or not rinse at all. Whereas my regulators that have chrome plated brass air barrels, well, I feel really guilty about not rinsing them at least daily after the diving concludes. But when I get home it is tear down time. If I had titanium air barrels I would worry more about the open ports on the first stage of Scubapro (and similar copies thereof) first stages, getting those rinsed out.

My dream reg (Scubapro of course but if Deep Six comes out with it I am all in) would be full titanium first and second stages, glass reinforced second stage polymer housing with full size case and a sealed diaphragm first stage with ACD. Rinse you say! Never rinse it :wink:.

James

WOW !! Why is that ????

For one thing, I was never a fan of those metal compression clip tank bands on their bcs…. Those tanks constantly slipped through early on when I started diving. Back then there was no safety loop at the top of the BC to keep it from falling through

Another day I had a friend helping me work on a slalom course at a ski lake, all of his equipment was scuba pro… during the dive apparently a piece of debris got inside of his 2nd stage and it was free flowing… he spent the rest of the time on shore fixing it while I did all of the diving, all 32 buoys

It could always be luck of the draw, but goin on 32 years with Imy 1st US divers Conshelf SE2 regulator, despite what the Plano scuba shop told me

For one thing, I was never a fan of those metal compression clip tank bands on their bcs…. Those tanks constantly slipped through early on when I started diving. Back then there was no safety loop at the top of the BC to keep it from falling through

Another day I had a friend helping me work on a slalom course at a ski lake, all of his equipment was scuba pro… during the dive apparently a piece of debris got inside of his 2nd stage and it was free flowing… he spent the rest of the time on shore fixing it while I did all of the diving, all 32 buoys

It could always be luck of the draw, but goin on 32 years with Imy 1st US divers Conshelf SE2 regulator, despite what the Plano scuba shop told me

The SE2 is a great old regulator. But I would hardly base one occurrence of free flow as a reason to forsake a brand forever. Besides, if he had had a G250 or G260 he could have just unscrewed the front cover and cleared whatever animal had crawled inside. No tool take down. I have seen a lot of regulators free flow for various reasons. Plain old downstream designs like the Conshelf (1049) and Scubapro R190/R195 are so dirt simple it is almost unheard of.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom