help buying the right dry suit and undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11x

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
hello, i just sold some of my ham radio equipment and now have $1500 to $2000 to invest in a drysuit setup. i live in ohio and what i am looking for in a dry suit setup is to be able to dive water temps from 60deg and below. i would love to go ice diving this winter. i also want a suit that will work for rescue diving for the local fire dep. please help a dry suit newbie buy the right suit the first time.

HOG drysuit with pee valve $1500
for undies, go to REI, REI house brand Polartec underwear with any fleece pajama pants and fleece jackets will take you to 60 degrees no problemo.~$150 max

I ended up with the Pinnacle Evo 2. It's 100% cordura outside is very tough.

I ended up getting mine brand new off ebay for $640!

And yes, the REI polartec stuff is nice and cheap!

for what you describe I would completely stay away from a trilam suit. 60 degree diving is easy to stay warm but for rescue work and ice diving I would highly recommend a neoprene suit. In general they are tough as nails and will keep you plenty warm in 35 degree water.

fourth element seems to have very good dry suit underwear. Its a little expensive but in line with the rest of dive manufacturers suits.

I am a big fan of abyss drysuits and would suggest their 4mm compressed neoprene suit or the 2mm compressed suit. I own the 2mm and its completely covered in Kevlar for added durability. Either would be a compromise between toughness, warmth, and comfort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom