Help choose the right BC & regulator system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure the Pegasus has been discontinued for at least a few years now. At least it's no longer listed on the mares.com U.S. website. Not sure if that matters to you. The replacement model is probably this one: Mares Hybrid Pure BCD with MRS Plus Weight Pockets And it's $50 less. And has 9lbs. less lift. Or this one: Mares Hybrid BCD with MRS Plus System which has 42lbs. of lift. For warm water diving that's likely more than you need but it will also function in single tank cold water diving should you do that.

What other brands can you obtain easily in your area?

Most people learn in a jacket because most shops use them in their rental fleet for convenience. Get a size that basically fits, throw some weight in the pockets and teach the class. For new divers, they're pretty comfortable also, all that padding etc. Some people later buy a better jacket because they learned in one. Also the mfr's intend them for that - one of them (Mares?) even offers a base model with a rental barcode stamped on the shoulder for inventory mgmt. purposes. They're also the cheapest so easiest to replace your rental fleet every year or two - most popular locations that's about as long as rental gear holds up.

Jackets do one thing really well - float you very high at the surface. So if that's where you plan to do all your diving - get one.

Back-Inflate models work better for actual diving. The idea is that the optimal diving position is horizontal. So having all the floatation on your back helps you to trim out more easily into this position while actually diving. A further problem with some jackets is that the trapped air bubble moves around as you dive - sometimes from front to back in those models that have that feature. If you read the ads carefully, you'll see that some jackets have bladders, channels or other devices designed to control the bubble so that it doesn't do so at an inappropriate time.

Back-inflate isn't without its problems either. Some people will find that at the surface they push you slightly forward so you may have to kick a little to maintain an upright position. One way mfr's compensate for this is by providing rear trim pockets. On my BC for example, I dive with 12-14 lbs. of weight in tropical water. I can easily put all of it in the front pockets but I find a 60/40 split is optimal both for diving and at the surface. For me having the trim weight low near the bottom of the tank works - others find that either higher pockets or sometimes securing it near the valve works best.

It all just depends on your specific weighting/characteristics in the water. No one here can accurately predict that so I suggest that you ask a local shop/instructor to help you fine tune whatever system you wind up with. DM's at dive destinations also do this routinely for free when asked. Or might suggest something based on how they see you once in the water.

Regarding DIN vs. Yoke - something like 98% of all rental tanks are Yoke in most dive destinations. It's not better but it certainly holds up to rental abuse better.

If you drop a DIN tank hard enough, you can deform the entire valve end. Screwing a round DIN reg into a now oval shaped opening - you can see the problem. Also the act of screwing a DIN reg onto a rental tank has inherent problems, someone could cross-thread it or if there's any sort of sand/grit caught in the threads, screwing a harder regulator body into is destroys the tank threads over time. DIN is optimal if you plan to own your own tanks since it's generally a more secure connection since the o-ring is fully captured - otherwise I suggest you get Yoke.

I've seen exactly two Yoke O-rings blow out in 33 years of regular diving - once at the surface on my tank and once while another diver was at a moderate depth. He still had enough air to safely surface including doing a 3min safety stop. Plus that's what your buddy is for. Drop a Yoke tank on it's end, pick it up and go dive it. I've had one fall off a truck bed and land solidly on the yoke on rocks, I couldn't even find any new scratches on it so I went diving...

At the depths you were diving during class, I suspect that whoever posted above that your regulator needed servicing was closer to the real reason for the hard breathing. While a balanced regulator is a good idea, you really only start to notice the difference below 100' or so.

Since there's a cost to the shop to bring any rental gear out of service for repair - some are reluctant to do so unless absolutely - and usually visually like in obvious air leaking - necessary before they do. Also you make the assumption that the technician him/herself is competent - or wasn't in a hurry. Rental regulator tuning isn't rocket science but it does take some experience. My point is don't base your decision on your limited rental experience.

A piston technically flows more air than a diaphragm. But both have been around over 50 years. I doubt you could tell the difference between most comparatively priced models anyway. Some - like Atomic sell a $400 regulator and a $1600 regulator. Even on their website, they mention that they breathe identically - the entire difference in their line is the metal used. So buy what you like - and can get serviced locally since with some brands you'll be doing that annually to maintain warranty coverage. And your local dealer needs to be affiliated with the brand so they can get parts, participate in the infrequent recalls, etc. Plus some brands only allow certified techs to work on their gear - Aqualung is one example.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Pegasus has been discontinued for at least a few years now. At least it's no longer listed on the mares.com U.S. website. Not sure if that matters to you. The replacement model is probably this one: Mares Hybrid Pure BCD with MRS Plus Weight Pockets And it's $50 less. And has 9lbs. less lift. Or this one: Mares Hybrid BCD with MRS Plus System which has 42lbs. of lift. For warm water diving that's likely more than you need but it will also function in single tank cold water diving should you do that.

Thanks for the information, so that model is discontinued. And still in stock with the Mares sale package in joedivers.com, yeah that explains the trade situation for such sales; like this one. Although, it's in a good sale price with the package, at $852.

Do you think it's a good deal, for BC, regulator, octopus and 2D gauge?

It's $720 with the spirit jacket.

This one Mares Spirit Jacket Style Buoyancy Compensator at JoeDiverAmerica.com

What you think about it?

What other brands can you obtain easily in your area?

Well, I visited different shops in the small city which I work in most of the year, except one month vacation. And shops in my hometown which is a pretty big city. I saw Seac, mares, ScubaPro, oceanic.

This is one of the shops I visited.

https://plus.google.com/11118188519...6050418071807973794&oid=101299840532954240910

The brands are not clear I guess!

I searched for regulator pictures, not interesting results. Also, the brands I mentioned may include most of them.

Most people learn in a jacket because most shops use them in their rental fleet for convenience. Get a size that basically fits, throw some weight in the pockets and teach the class. For new divers, they're pretty comfortable also, all that padding etc. Some people later buy a better jacket because they learned in one. Also the mfr's intend them for that - one of them (Mares?) even offers a base model with a rental barcode stamped on the shoulder for inventory mgmt. purposes. They're also the cheapest so easiest to replace your rental fleet every year or two - most popular locations that's about as long as rental gear holds up.

Yeah, alright .. well I tried the jacket in my 1st diving, and it's OK, I just want to be sure if back-inflate is better.

Jackets do one thing really well - float you very high at the surface. So if that's where you plan to do all your diving - get one.

Why I would plan to float? No, I think I want to dive deep, and I think back-inflate design support snorkeling.

Back-Inflate models work better for actual diving. The idea is that the optimal diving position is horizontal. So having all the floatation on your back helps you to trim out more easily into this position while actually diving. A further problem with some jackets is that the trapped air bubble moves around as you dive - sometimes from front to back in those models that have that feature. If you read the ads carefully, you'll see that some jackets have bladders, channels or other devices designed to control the bubble so that it doesn't do so at an inappropriate time.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, good horizontal dive. And, should all or most of current back-inflate style solve this problem?
OK, it's described in the ads, thanks for the tip.

Back-inflate isn't without its problems either. Some people will find that at the surface they push you slightly forward so you may have to kick a little to maintain an upright position. One way mfr's compensate for this is by providing rear trim pockets. On my BC for example, I dive with 12-14 lbs. of weight in tropical water. I can easily put all of it in the front pockets but I find a 60/40 split is optimal both for diving and at the surface. For me having the trim weight low near the bottom of the tank works - others find that either higher pockets or sometimes securing it near the valve works best.

Show me your BC.

It all just depends on your specific weighting/characteristics in the water. No one here can accurately predict that so I suggest that you ask a local shop/instructor to help you fine tune whatever system you wind up with. DM's at dive destinations also do this routinely for free when asked. Or might suggest something based on how they see you once in the water.

Do you mean the BC style which fit me? And the proper integrated weights?

I think the back-inflate would be very good. And the weights, that the BC should have integrated pockets, then adjust the extra weights I need in water.

If I wanted to get this package, I think I just have the "Mares Pegasus Back Inflate BCD".

So, what you think?

Regarding DIN vs. Yoke - something like 98% of all rental tanks are Yoke in most dive destinations. It's not better but it certainly holds up to rental abuse better.

If you drop a DIN tank hard enough, you can deform the entire valve end. Screwing a round DIN reg into a now oval shaped opening - you can see the problem. Also the act of screwing a DIN reg onto a rental tank has inherent problems, someone could cross-thread it or if there's any sort of sand/grit caught in the threads, screwing a harder regulator body into is destroys the tank threads over time. DIN is optimal if you plan to own your own tanks since it's generally a more secure connection since the o-ring is fully captured - otherwise I suggest you get Yoke.

I think yoke is good enough for now. I think din with yoke adapter for the possibility to own a tank in future ??! No, I don't think so ... I think I would deal with rental tanks.

I've seen exactly two Yoke O-rings blow out in 33 years of regular diving - once at the surface on my tank and once while another diver was at a moderate depth. He still had enough air to safely surface including doing a 3min safety stop. Plus that's what your buddy is for. Drop a Yoke tank on it's end, pick it up and go dive it. I've had one fall off a truck bed and land solidly on the yoke on rocks, I couldn't even find any new scratches on it so I went diving...

WOW, that was scary. I should learn about such situations.

If I went to surface with exhaling all the air before reaching the surface, would that be safe action?

So, yoke is robust and reliable.

At the depths you were diving during class, I suspect that whoever posted above that your regulator needed servicing was closer to the real reason for the hard breathing. While a balanced regulator is a good idea, you really only start to notice the difference below 100' or so.

100 is very deep, I guess.

I want a balanced regulator which doesn't inhale hard, more you need and exhale hard. That's what I'm looking for.

Since there's a cost to the shop to bring any rental gear out of service for repair - some are reluctant to do so unless absolutely - and usually visually like in obvious air leaking - necessary before they do. Also you make the assumption that the technician him/herself is competent - or wasn't in a hurry. Rental regulator tuning isn't rocket science but it does take some experience. My point is don't base your decision on your limited rental experience.

Maybe I would learn how to service the regulator, it should be easy.

A piston technically flows more air than a diaphragm. But both have been around over 50 years. I doubt you could tell the difference between most comparatively priced models anyway. Some - like Atomic sell a $400 regulator and a $1600 regulator. Even on their website, they mention that they breathe identically - the entire difference in their line is the metal used. So buy what you like - and can get serviced locally since with some brands you'll be doing that annually to maintain warranty coverage. And your local dealer needs to be affiliated with the brand so they can get parts, participate in the infrequent recalls, etc. Plus some brands only allow certified techs to work on their gear - Aqualung is one example.

I think mares is popular if not sure.

Well, thank you for sharing your interesting experience.

I hope to dive with you :)

Thanks for the information, so that model is discontinued. And still in stock with the Mares sale package in joedivers.com, yeah that explains the trade situation for such sales; like this one. Although, it's in a good sale price with the package, at $852.
Do you think it's a good deal, for BC, regulator, octopus and 2D gauge?
It's $720 with the spirit jacket.
This one Mares Spirit Jacket Style Buoyancy Compensator at JoeDiverAmerica.com

What you think about it?
The Spirit is a Jacket with no weight integration so you'll need a weight belt. It seems really cheap looking to me - probably a rental fleet model. The Octo/gauge keepers seem like a gimmick also. I for one would not want my Octo where it positions it.

I'd pass...

Well, I visited different shops in the small city which I work in most of the year, except one month vacation. And shops in my hometown which is a pretty big city. I saw Seac, mares, ScubaPro, oceanic.
This is one of the shops I visited.
https://plus.google.com/11118188519...6050418071807973794&oid=101299840532954240910
The brands are not clear I guess!
I searched for regulator pictures, not interesting results. Also, the brands I mentioned may include most of them.
If the shop has the same level of BC's/Regulators as they do accessories you can probably find something there. I don't know Seac at all, it's not popular in the U.S. Of the other brands ScubaPro is probably the best, Oceanic is very good, reliable, gear and IMO Mares is kind of gimmicky in some of their designs. KISS is a pretty fundamental rule in Scuba - the more "features" the more there is to break.
Show me your BC.
Ranger Ltd But I paid more for it than your package...lol
Do you mean the BC style which fit me? And the proper integrated weights?
I think the back-inflate would be very good. And the weights, that the BC should have integrated pockets, then adjust the extra weights I need in water.
If I wanted to get this package, I think I just have the "Mares Pegasus Back Inflate BCD".
So, what you think?
I'm not a fan of Mares so I'm biased. For a starter package it seems like it will work. If you're like most of us, your 2nd set of gear is the one that really works for you. But it certainly looks like it will be fine, keep you alive, all the stuff you expect....:D
I think yoke is good enough for now. I think din with yoke adapter for the possibility to own a tank in future ??! No, I don't think so ... I think I would deal with rental tanks.
I mostly recreationally dive in warm water. Most dive boats/resorts I've been on are all Yoke tank equipped. Even at some popular Caribbean dive destinations you have to make an effort to find DIN tanks. Being closer to Europe and having a lot of European divers visit your area it may be different for you. I'm starting to see more of the combo valves described in the post above also. I live in a land-locked state so always fly to dive so owning a tank is something I've never needed.
WOW, that was scary. I should learn about such situations. If I went to surface with exhaling all the air before reaching the surface, would that be safe action?
His buddy was there with an octo almost immediately. Actually like I posted, the leak wasn't bad enough to do anything but abort the dive, he even had enough air to do a safety stop on the way up. Although I'd guess he didn't have much air left when he hit the surface. If you have complete reg. failure, it's a good idea to exhale during surface ascent. If you're like most people though, 40-60' is about the limit of how deep you can do that from.
100 is very deep, I guess.
Not really but it's the place where gear redundancy is more important, considered by most to be Advanced Open Water necessary and below that most people will start to have symptoms of Nitrogen Narcosis. My personal limit to get narced seems to start around 120' but I know people who are goofy by then.
I want a balanced regulator which doesn't inhale hard, more you need and exhale hard. That's what I'm looking for.
That's why you want balanced - for the inhale side. No regs exhale hard because basically the exhaust valve on most is a rubber flap to put it at it's simplest. So the physical design of the exhaust chamber is the only thing that affects that - they've had that perfected for decades.
Maybe I would learn how to service the regulator, it should be easy.
If you are there's two issues, complexity and parts availability. Not every manufacturer will provide service kits to the public while some like HOG/Edge (probably not available in your area) encourage it. Also some parts kits are available from 3rd party sources as well.
I think mares is popular if not sure.
Mares is pretty popular where I dive, mostly the U.S. Pacific, Caribbean, Central America and Mexico. Although I bring all my own gear (except tanks) I often look at shops inventory/rental fleets to see what they have. Besides Mares I see Scubapro, Aqualung, Oceanic and frequently Cressi Sub outside the U.S. I'd guess the last one is partly based on cost although Cressi probably pre-dates all of them - they've been selling dive gear since the 50's.

If you're planning to buy direct from Joediver, also check prices/options at Leisurepro.com and Scubatoys.com. Both are very reputable dealers here in the U.S. and ship internationally. There's also the DiveInn Scubastore on your side of the Atlantic. Online dive shop, buy online diving, snorkeling & swimming equipment

rgds,

Last edited:
If the shop has the same level of BC's/Regulators as they do accessories you can probably find something there. I don't know Seac at all, it's not popular in the U.S. Of the other brands ScubaPro is probably the best, Oceanic is very good, reliable, gear and IMO Mares is kind of gimmicky in some of their designs. KISS is a pretty fundamental rule in Scuba - the more "features" the more there is to break.
Ranger Ltd But I paid more for it than your package...lol

Alright, let's forget about Mares ..

I saw very good looking BCs for oceanic and another brands like cressi, shrewood ...

Would you help me choosing a package from joediversamerica.com .. to see your taste and I see your preferences then see another website.

Although, I prefer joediversamerica.com for get advantage of package price.

Mares is pretty popular where I dive, mostly the U.S. Pacific, Caribbean, Central America and Mexico. Although I bring all my own gear (except tanks) I often look at shops inventory/rental fleets to see what they have. Besides Mares I see Scubapro, Aqualung, Oceanic and frequently Cressi Sub outside the U.S. I'd guess the last one is partly based on cost although Cressi probably pre-dates all of them - they've been selling dive gear since the 50's.

OK let's concentrate on buying from a specific package from joediversamerica.com

There are different packages ..

If you're planning to buy direct from Joediver, also check prices/options at Leisurepro.com and Scubatoys.com. Both are very reputable dealers here in the U.S. and ship internationally. There's also the DiveInn Scubastore on your side of the Atlantic. Online dive shop, buy online diving, snorkeling & swimming equipment

They should be very good websites, beside if I want to buy the parts, I would get the original price for every part.

So, I'm as possible looking to get the best total price and reasonable parts' level

Scuba Gear Packages - Scuba Equipment Package at JoeDiverAmerica.com

Here's the page of packages, if you want to share your taste.

Thank you ..

Looking forward to dive with you :)

---------- Post added May 12th, 2015 at 10:24 AM ----------

Here are other interesting links from leisure pro

This one for Mares package 2

Mares Package #2 PCKM2

This is the packages page

Scuba Packages at LeisurePro

Don't "forget" about Mares if you like their gear. It will work as well as anyone's. I have a dislike for Mares because they seem to use a lot of plastic in areas where I don't think that's a good idea. Like tank backplates. Give that a few years of sun/salt/chlorine exposure and it's likely to harden and crack.

Both of the sites I listed offer package deals also. Just not as extensively as JoeDiver. One thing I'd suggest is look at some of their package components and go to the current US mfr's websites for that gear - you may find a lot of it is discontinued which explains the "deal".

I don't buy gear packages since they're put together to meet a price point and unless that's $2000 or so, every piece is a compromise in some way. I've noticed a lot of packages offer lower end Jacket BC's for example since most back-inflate models cost more. I'll look at the Joediver packages tomorrow and if anything stands out I'll post here - it's past midnight here now.

Cressi isn't popular in my area so everything I know about them is what I've read. They've been selling gear since the 50's though so must be doing something right. That probably precedes Scubapro, Oceanic, Aqualung etc. Maybe not Aqualung since they were U.S. Divers first. I like Oceanic also although I don't currently own any - it seems to be good gear for the price. You might see if you can find a deal on Aeris gear also - their sister company. Oceanic just announced they're consolidating Aeris into the Oceanic line so you might find some deals currently. Aeris, Oceanic and Hollis are all owned by AUP so they'll continue to support Aeris gear with parts etc. as long as needed. Some of their gear has been known to be basically identical across the Aeris/Oceanic line with just cosmetic differences.

Between jacket or back inflate, one is not better then the other in any circumstance. When diving a jacket, if you are horizontal, the air goes to the back. The air will always be at the highest point of the BC. You fix your trim with weight, not a different type of BC. I've been diving a jacket for 20 years and never have an issue. You need a BC that you are comfortable in and you learn the nuances of how it works.

And I am going to also say that you are going into buying gear too fast. The simple fact that you are asking what to get shows that you lack the knowledge to make an informed purchase. Asking on a forum is silly because everyone has their own opinions on what's good and what's bad. And unless you have a lot of money, it would be foolish to buy gear without trying it first. You can throw away a lot of money buying gear or you can buy one good set that will last you many years.

It's important to realize that, quite often, packages are composed of things that sell well and things that don't; the shop uses the lowered price in total to get you to buy something that isn't moving out of the shop well otherwise. (There are exceptions to this, but it's common.) So I would not be in a hurry to buy from someone just because they are offering a package price on some gear.

There are a lot of things to know about scuba equipment before buying any, and you have to realize a shop will sell you anything they want to sell, and some won't give you much guidance at all, especially if your heart is set on something that will make them a good profit, even if it may not be ideal for your purposes. If you are diving the Red Sea, you will be diving warm water, likely with minimal exposure protection, so you don't need a BC that can lift a flooded dry suit, or compensate for the lift lost when a thick wetsuit compresses at depth. Your BC won't have to have room for a lot of lead, either, and in fact, you may be just fine with a weight belt and no integrated weight system at all.

You won't need a regulator that's tolerant of very cold temperatures, and almost any regulator sold today will breathe well, at least at shallower depths, if adjusted correctly.

I don't know if you are certified or not, but even if you are, basic classes teach you very little about the various characteristics of BCs, and how to choose a good one for you. Things like one or two cambands, or lift amounts, or the configuration of the air bladder, the number and location of dump valves and their method of actuation -- all these things can differ. But the most important thing of all is fit. If the BC won't get snug down around you, it won't hold the tank still on your back, and that makes for a very annoying and difficult dive.

I personally prefer back inflate BCs, because I hate having a bunch of crud on the front of me. I like a BC with two cambands, because a loose tank is a darned nuisance. I like a simple harness system because I'm not anybody's standard size for a diver, and as I said, fit is the biggest thing. And I like a modular system that allows me to replace parts, rather than having to throw out a BC because something on it has failed. But those are all personal preferences, based on my taste, my size, and the kind of diving I do.

You really would be well served to look around your area and see what people who dive actively where you are are using. Buying something blind puts you at right risk for getting something you won't end up liking.

Between jacket or back inflate, one is not better then the other in any circumstance. When diving a jacket, if you are horizontal, the air goes to the back. The air will always be at the highest point of the BC. You fix your trim with weight, not a different type of BC. I've been diving a jacket for 20 years and never have an issue. You need a BC that you are comfortable in and you learn the nuances of how it works.

I think back-inflate has the same feature to get air balanced at the back.

Yeah, I dove with a jacket and it was good. I'm considering back-inflate, because the feature of balanced air.
Though, I read that jacket is newer than back-inflate. So, how would back-inflate be better than jacket?

And I am going to also say that you are going into buying gear too fast. The simple fact that you are asking what to get shows that you lack the knowledge to make an informed purchase. Asking on a forum is silly because everyone has their own opinions on what's good and what's bad. And unless you have a lot of money, it would be foolish to buy gear without trying it first. You can throw away a lot of money buying gear or you can buy one good set that will last you many years.

I'm not rushing ..

If I had the chance to try different styles and gears, then I would not need to post a thread about it.

And, it's been almost a year and I want to finish the course and take the occasional dives in my hometown, because it's better there than this small city.

I know buying a gear is harder than buying the personal gear. Though, I'm taking enough time to look at gears in websites.

I hope I get the right set for me :)

It's important to realize that, quite often, packages are composed of things that sell well and things that don't; the shop uses the lowered price in total to get you to buy something that isn't moving out of the shop well otherwise. (There are exceptions to this, but it's common.) So I would not be in a hurry to buy from someone just because they are offering a package price on some gear.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. So, I'm considering now to see different options of buying a package or separate parts.

If you are diving the Red Sea, you will be diving warm water, likely with minimal exposure protection,

Well, I have long sleeve wetsuit, and ordinary gear would be fine.

There are a lot of things to know about scuba equipment before buying any
  • BC that can lift a flooded dry suit
  • compensate for the lift lost when a thick wetsuit compresses at depth

What are other criteria than these.
1. As for the lift, I think I don't need much lift to my measurements, I'm 170cm and 110lbs .. kind of a thin boy
2. Compensate, what do you mean for the lift lost?

Mainly, ordinary BC is fine.

Your BC won't have to have room for a lot of lead

Would you explain this point, I just had one dive in the sea.

you may be just fine with a weight belt and no integrated weight system at all

Why? I think integrated weight system is more comfortable than weight belt.

I don't know if you are certified or not, but even if you are, basic classes teach you very little about the various characteristics of BCs, and how to choose a good one for you. Things like one or two cambands, or lift amounts, or the configuration of the air bladder, the number and location of dump valves and their method of actuation -- all these things can differ. But the most important thing of all is fit. If the BC won't get snug down around you, it won't hold the tank still on your back, and that makes for a very annoying and difficult dive.

You're right, I think fit is very important. And with experience, you earn these skills.

My size of BC is xs. If BC fits perfectly and has suitable features for you, then that would be the best for beginning.

I like a BC with two cambands,
And I like a modular system that allows me to replace parts

cambands !! thanks for the info two cambands look more secure, so that an info to consider when buying a BC :) thanks again.
YEAH, i saw such BDs; like Mares back-inflate modular system.

Normal back-inflate or jacket is fine for me now

You really would be well served to look around your area and see what people who dive actively where you are are using. Buying something blind puts you at right risk for getting something you won't end up liking.

I don't think there is a huge difference with what divers have in my area or important to know.

Because, I've been to those shops and they sell normal gear at high prices. Like scubapro regulator for $800-$900 .. that's a price of a good package though :)

If you want pictures, I could visit them today ..

cambands !! thanks for the info two cambands look more secure
Also notice that there are systems with 2 cambands and systems with one camband and one velcro positioning strap. The difference being that either camband if properly tightened will hold a tank if the other doesn't whereas the velcro band may not. It's a small point since that rarely happens but worth mentioning. Since you can look at Scubarpro in your area - here's an example of the 1+1 system on their Lighthawk Travel BC. Also notice that the little strap near the top retains the tank valve also.
Capture.JPG

Although it seems like more mfr's are doing that now, I noticed Aqualung is also.

I just tried building a "custom" package on the JoeDiver site but many of the regulator options I would have liked to choose don't seem to exist - at least the links don't. I'm not going to take the time to track down each one individually.

What I liked for a travel system was the Oceanic Biolite, Delta4 Reg with DVT, cheap Oceanic Octo and Mares 2 gauge set (for the price) I think it was $1013. However since you have a ScubaPro dealer nearby? - using LeisurePro pricing you can do a little better:

Scubapro Litehawk with Air II Integrated Octo $425
ScubaPro MK11/S360 Regulator $409 The reg is fully balanced - both stages.
Tusa gauge console - $99-115. Gauges are agnostic, all that's changed is an o-ring/spool so they don't have to be ScubaPro.

$933 total - If you don't want the Air II, the price including a Scubapro R095 Octo drops to $886.

The Mares package you linked to in post #34 has a Jacket BCD. I thought you'd decided against that.

You may be able to get the same pricing locally. Here in the U.S. many mfr's have a suggested retail price that some online dealers start with - usually some discounting is available.

One thing TSandM mentioned that I'll stress also, at least for the Regs/BC and later computer if you buy one - make sure that you have local dealer support. There's also a funny thing about warranties - although more of a U.S. issue - if I buy gear in Europe, even from an authorized dealer, U.S. dealers can refuse to do warranty work. Or honor free parts for life or other affiliated programs. Which is why I've never bought from Dive Inn - even though their prices are a lot lower.

Last edited:
If you find a package/non-package complete set-up you like, post it here for review. Someone probably knows the good/bad about it. I'm only basing my recommendations on the type of diving I think you plan to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom