Help choosing a place to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The airline lost one of my full gear bags once before. It was a huge headache and the thought of going through it again has made me really cautious about taking my stuff.

I wouldn't check any dive gear other than the BCD, fins, wetsuit, knives, and any tools that might not pass TSA inspection. The computer, lights, regs, mask, camera, lights, pony bottle and countless other dive accessories travel with me in carry-on. They never leave my sight.

If the checked gear gets lost, I'd rent those few relatively unimportant items and buy brand new ones with the money I'd get from the airlines.

Marvelous. Thank you for the suggestion. Do they offer shore diving there?

No, for two reasons. One, I'm pretty sure that there isn't any reef structure within reasonable swimming distance, and two, it's inside the Marine Park, and you are not allowed to dive within the park without a licensed guide.

A good review of BA was just posted a few days ago so I assume you read that one. I prefer to stay "in town" so I can walk about and enjoy all the off-the-beaten-path restaurants nightly and be in the heart of it all without such a long walk as the BA is a LONG walk from town. There's also no need to put used toilet tissue in the bathroom trash can at the Casa - it's systems are is designed to take care of it all - Ya just don't want to try flushing 1/2 a toilet paper roll worth down it on one flush.

For us personally, the "waterfront" Casa Mexicana in town is tough to beat and even better when matched up with 3P's for a dive op. We found the Casa about 15 years ago when it was new and have stayed there on every return trip since. It is just as immaculate today as the day it was built. Yes, the Casa is "in-town" so the main road separates the hotel from the water and there really isn't any place to swim in the ocean that I'd care to swim within walking distance but after a day of diving I've seen enough, been wet enough, and am more interested in topside in-town relaxation and adventures after hanging out on the Casa's pool deck or on my private balcony watching the coz world go by while checking out UW photos taken that day with an ice cold Sol in hand... Only decision to be made daily other than perhaps a dive site suggestion/request in the AM is what restaurant we'll stroll to and dine at in the PM... Too many great choices from which to chose! The Casa's enormous legendary breakfast buffet opens at 7AM sharp and is included free with the stay (also available free if you stay at one of the Casa's lower cost sister hotels being the Colonial or Bahia but you'll have about a 5-10 min walk to the Casa from them where the buffet is)

For diving we've been with Tres Pelicanos the past 3 years and are booked again for 2 weeks this December. 3P's dive and stay packages are great deals and we've shopped dive ops in proximity to the Casa for years. I can't beat the price of their dive and stay packages and they deliver the type of dive experience we want. I'll also add that 3P's clout with the Casa can usually get you the best southern facing city-view rooms at the city-view price that offer fantastic ocean views (all the way to the southern cruise port) and rival what the "Deluxe Ocean View Rooms" offer. The only difference if you grab a great city view room is you don't get the super-sized resort towels and in-room robes the Deluxe rooms offer. What do I care? Housekeeping is always around and will give me as many towels as I want.

I say contact Jeanie through 3P's website and see what she can put together for a package. See how it compares to other options you look at. I'll bet after all the research, reading reviews and shopping prices everywhere you'll end up with a 3P's dive/stay package. Once booked you'll show up, check into the Casa, drop off all your gear at the shop (right around the corner at the back of the block from the casa) and never haul or rinse any of it again for the rest of your trip. Each day you'll enjoy a leisurely 35 minutes for breakfast at the Casa's buffet before a 5 minute walk around the corner for 3P's courtesy transport to the boats at 7:40AM and then back. We used to deal with the daily haul, rinse and hang it all on the balcony BS until we found 3P's... Never again!

Last edited:
A good review of BA was just posted a few days ago so I assume you read that one. I prefer to stay "in town" so I can walk about and enjoy all the off-the-beaten-path restaurants nightly and be in the heart of it all without such a long walk as the BA is a LONG walk from town. There's also no need to put used toilet tissue in the bathroom trash can at the Casa - it's systems are is designed to take care of it all - Ya just don't want to try flushing 1/2 a toilet paper roll worth down it on one flush.

For us personally, the "waterfront" Casa Mexicana in town is tough to beat and even better when matched up with 3P's for a dive op. We found the Casa about 15 years ago when it was new and have stayed there on every return trip since. It is just as immaculate today as the day it was built. Yes, the Casa is "in-town" so the main road separates the hotel from the water and there really isn't any place to swim in the ocean that I'd care to swim within walking distance but after a day of diving I've seen enough, been wet enough, and am more interested in topside in-town relaxation and adventures after hanging out on the Casa's pool deck or on my private balcony watching the coz world go by while checking out UW photos taken that day with an ice cold Sol in hand... Only decision to be made daily other than perhaps a dive site suggestion/request in the AM is what restaurant we'll stroll to and dine at in the PM... Too many great choices from which to chose! The Casa's enormous legendary breakfast buffet opens at 7AM sharp and is included free with the stay (also available free if you stay at one of the Casa's lower cost sister hotels being the Colonial or Bahia but you'll have about a 5-10 min walk to the Casa from them where the buffet is)

For diving we've been with Tres Pelicanos the past 3 years and are booked again for 2 weeks this December. 3P's dive and stay packages are great deals and we've shopped dive ops in proximity to the Casa for years. I can't beat the price of their dive and stay packages and they deliver the type of dive experience we want. I'll also add that 3P's clout with the Casa can usually get you the best southern facing city-view rooms at the city-view price that offer fantastic ocean views (all the way to the southern cruise port) and rival what the "Deluxe Ocean View Rooms" offer. The only difference if you grab a great city view room is you don't get the super-sized resort towels and in-room robes the Deluxe rooms offer. What do I care? Housekeeping is always around and will give me as many towels as I want.

I say contact Jeanie through 3P's website and see what she can put together for a package. See how it compares to other options you look at. I'll bet after all the research, reading reviews and shopping prices everywhere you'll end up with a 3P's dive/stay package. Once booked you'll show up, check into the Casa, drop off all your gear at the shop (right around the corner at the back of the block from the casa) and never haul or rinse any of it again for the rest of your trip. Each day you'll enjoy a leisurely 35 minutes for breakfast at the Casa's buffet before a 5 minute walk around the corner for 3P's courtesy transport to the boats at 7:40AM and then back. We used to deal with the daily haul, rinse and hang it all on the balcony BS until we found 3P's... Never again!
@deepsea21 .... I have been to coz only once before, but was lucky enough to do casa/3p package. Just like yourself I was immediately hooked to Cozumel and the advantages of casa/3p. There is just too much to explore topside in San Miguel and advantages of 3p are really hard to beat for our needs.We are also coming back in December for 10 days. No need to make any changes emailed Jeanie and are all set with all details. Great description in your response. Hopefully our dates cross in December and we get to meet.

@deepsea21 .... I have been to coz only once before, but was lucky enough to do casa/3p package. Just like yourself I was immediately hooked to Cozumel and the advantages of casa/3p. There is just too much to explore topside in San Miguel and advantages of 3p are really hard to beat for our needs.We are also coming back in December for 10 days. No need to make any changes emailed Jeanie and are all set with all details. Great description in your response. Hopefully our dates cross in December and we get to meet.

@ Vic... We'll be arriving December 9th and departing the 24th so I have to assume we'll have some common days of diving (maybe quite a few). At some point someone will start a December thread here and we'll see who all is going to be down and when and who they are diving with.

Heck, some of our dive days almost have to correspond unless you're showing up on the 1st. It seems those who dive with 3P's have a way of showing up around the same time year after year. At least that's how it's been for our December trips. We've kind of dubbed ourselves part of the "X-mas group". It's always fun to see friends from the past and welcome new ones. Something tells me if you're there when we are, like most, you'll be back when December 2018 comes around - same time, same place.

Oh, the wife and I lived in Boston for 16? years. Got to say I'm a fan of Virginia these days as December in Coz is like one late blast of Indian summer for us whereas December in Coz for you is a welcome escape from the arctic. I enjoyed Beantown but geeze did those winters suck. The fact that you can't throw a rock in Beantown without breaking the window of a pub did help during those winter months!

Last edited:
Don't want to hijack the thread but........ our dates are December 16th to 25th. You are right about escape f on arctic. It will be a great escape.

Don't want to hijack the thread but........ our dates are December 16th to 25th. You are right about escape f on arctic. It will be a great escape.

"Hijack the thread"? No such thing in my opinion... Fantastic and welcome to the "X-mas Group"! See you there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom