Help Choosing My First BCD????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! A convert on the second page, it usually takes 3 or 4 pages of convincing before they come over to the plate side. Guess the convincing is getting more convincing. Good job guys.

First of I would HIGHLY recommend a BP/W setup for someone as it offers a very slim design, with a SS backplate you can easily drop 8lbs or more off your weight requirement. Second off, do not "upgrade" to the Hollis Solo. The extra D-rings are pointless and it's $60 more than the base version which is all you really need. Third, talk to Jim as he sells HOG gear and puts packages together for people

What about the Hollis Elite II Harness?

What about the Hollis Elite II Harness?

Having an adjustable harness with straps and crap dangling everywhere defeats the purpose of BP/W simplicity.

As for those saying the same thing about the Solo harness which is one piece... I am going to disagree. I have 3 BP's and harnesses set up on different rigs, one is a Solo harness I got in a package and the others I have made myself with hardware and webbing. You do not NEED shoulder pads for comfort at all but the ones that come with the Solo are great, they help the straps hold their shape and make it that little bit easier to get on and off and are nice if you have to walk on land wearing your rig, the crotch strap that comes with the Hollis is better than any of the others I have as well and the D rings are thicker and just that little bit nicer. Those few things are worth the extra $50, to me.

I prefer a KISS mentality (keep it simple stupid) keep it clean, effective and idiot proof. A BP/W harness should be cheep, easily replaceable and stays in the same position unless you mean to change it. And George some of us live where we need dry suits or thick wetsuits. Monkey diving may work in warm waters but not in cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the elite harness is a knockoff of the DiveRite transpac/transplate harness system. These systems were designed for one purpose.
Hiking.

IF you have to carry your gear for any more than about 50 yards, or you have back problems, they are extraordinarily useful. Underwater they don't offer anything more than a one piece harness, though I am a firm believer in one quick release on the shoulder if you are diving in the ocean. Anyone who says they are an added failure point or useless clearly has never had the need to get out of one at the surface very quickly, and don't understand that we drop people out of airplanes with QR all over their harnesses....

I have a large chest, not so large waist so the one piece harnesses fit properly do not allow me to safely get out of the rig in a timely fashion and I also need a chest strap to keep the circulation from getting cut off in my arms due to the way the straps run. Underwater, they are amazingly comfortable, I learned on one and dove one for years, but you won't see me buying one again. The DR deluxe harness is much more comfortable both above and below water for me and that is what is on my hard plate. Chest straps are wonderful things, there's a reason ALL good hiking packs have them, and if I'm going to carry 150lbs of cave gear for any distance, you will be hard pressed to get me in a rig without it. AL80's are a different story, and I still feel like everyone should at least try a one piece harness first, and if it truly isn't working for them, then they go to a different harness.

I also sell the deluxe style harness from manta that has quick releases and just put one customer in one for about the same reasons as above. His build made a one piece a pain to get adjusted. We tried. The manta harness is clean, neat, and we got it dialed in pretty quick. Made me rethink my old total opposition to them. Now some are not ideal and not really required. But if someone wants to pay the increased cost and it works for them so be it.

So I ordered the DRiS 28lb setup that was recommended. I got it with a stainless back plate and the Hollis Elite II Harness. I have some back pain from time to time so I figured I'd spend a lil extra. If I don't like the pads I'll just take em off. My main thing was I wanted to get a plate and harness that I could use for a long time. I may change the wing out eventually but not until I get the hang of diving with a BP/W. Thanks for all the advice guys.

. And George some of us live where we need dry suits or thick wetsuits. Monkey diving may work in warm waters but not in cold.

What's monkey diving? I live in Southern Calif, I wear 1/4 suits with no BC. A dry suit is the ultimate BC isn't it? A guy can buy and use a BC, it doesn't matter to me, just saying that they are not necessary unless you want one. What wetsuit or dry suit you wear has absolutely nothing to do with choosing to use a BC or not. How did we dive before 1975 or whenever the BC became popular? You either are overweighted or you are not.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 05:19 AM ----------

One thing I hear that is confusing is "getting the hang of diving with a BP/W" - what does that mean? Threading the straps and buckle?
You just put the tank in, tighten it up, put your arms through, do the buckle and jump in the water.

I suspect years ago these DIR guys tried to make it sound like it had to be specialized to the point where people were confused and intimidated by a plate and some webbing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom