Help! I dont know where to go

where do i go?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So im in Florida and gonna get my cert but I dont know what company to go with. I dive or sea-hunt in st Augustine Florida? are they legit? what would be cheaper? i plan on getting my own gear I have a few things so far.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I am going to move your post to the Florida area forum so you can get better regional advice.

I will just say in general that Florida has a ton of dive operations, and the opinions you are going to get will be all over he place. Different people will suggest different operations, and you won't know which to believe. Different people will suggest different agencies, and you won't know which to believe.

In general, I would say that "the cheapest" should not be your starting point. The best one might be the cheapest, too, but the best one is the one that is going to give you the best quality instruction.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I am going to move your post to the Florida area forum so you can get better regional advice.

I will just say in general that Florida has a ton of dive operations, and the opinions you are going to get will be all over he place. Different people will suggest different operations, and you won't know which to believe. Different people will suggest different agencies, and you won't know which to believe.

In general, I would say that "the cheapest" should not be your starting point. The best one might be the cheapest, too, but the best one is the one that is going to give you the best quality instruction.
thanks john
that is why I am considering sea hunt its a bit more but the people are nice and for 400 I get cert and unlimited trips with them. I dont know too much about i dive

I'm not in Florida but I don't see anything wrong with either of them looking at their websites.

Idive certifies under NAUI which at one time was a more complete program IMO. Seahunt is PADI which is arguably the largest cert agency in the country and probably has the larger presence in FL and the Caribbean. One other advantage to PADI - and probably NAUI also (IDK) is the E-learning. Seahunt mentions they'll send you the code after you sign up - it allows you to get the basics done online prior to class. Allows the instructor to spend more time teaching more advanced skills/concepts if you don't have to sit in class and start at the beginning of the book.

It matters little though - what matters is the instructor so go to both and talk to a few of them - or the one likely to be teaching your future class. ftr: I'm NASDS/SSI and have no problems diving anywhere.
So certification agency really isn't as important on a basic OW level.

There's some useful info here also before you do: How to find an excellent SCUBA class

One consideration is that Idive seems to certify in nearby springs (fresh water) with optional extra cost ocean boat trips. I'd do that if you can, dealing with currents/coral (buoyancy skills to stay off it) and stinging creatures (to a smaller extent) is of some value.

Also it's good to learn how to splash/re-board the boat b4 you have to do it on your own.

Seahunt appears to do cert. dives off a boat in the ocean since they mention mid-week cert trips so the boat is less full. Not a bad idea either - it can be a little confusing/intimidating to be the new guy on a boat full of experienced divers - esp. if they have to wait for you. A quick look at their calendar indicates they do some good local diving, Pompano, Jupiter or the Keys. I didn't check Idive's trips...

Buy a mask from one of them after trying it on. There's nothing more important than proper fit. If it leaks, you'll be pre-occupied with clearing it when you should be observing/doing skills instead. Boots/Fins buy what you like. Don't spend a lot on a snorkel, just get a basic open bore model - if you're like many you likely won't use it much after certification. I had a fold-up I carried in a BC pocket till it rotted and I have another one that goes on every dive trip but generally stays in my bag at the hotel. I used it once in the past 5 years to snorkel with whalesharks on Utila.

Dive shops make a profit selling you basic gear. So they generally encourage you to buy everything from them. Price things on the internet also, Leisurepro, Scubatoys, Divers Supply are reputable options also.
You also may have a Divers Direct store near you - they're generally like a diver's superstore.

hth, I'm not a regular SoFl diver so can't help much with specific recommendations.

I'm not in Florida but I don't see anything wrong with either of them looking at their websites.

Idive certifies under NAUI which at one time was a more complete program IMO. Seahunt is PADI which is arguably the largest cert agency in the country and probably has the larger presence in FL and the Caribbean. One other advantage to PADI - and probably NAUI also (IDK) is the E-learning. Seahunt mentions they'll send you the code after you sign up - it allows you to get the basics done online prior to class. Allows the instructor to spend more time teaching more advanced skills/concepts if you don't have to sit in class and start at the beginning of the book.

It matters little though - what matters is the instructor so go to both and talk to a few of them - or the one likely to be teaching your future class. ftr: I'm NASDS/SSI and have no problems diving anywhere.
So certification agency really isn't as important on a basic OW level.

There's some useful info here also before you do: How to find an excellent SCUBA class

One consideration is that Idive seems to certify in nearby springs (fresh water) with optional extra cost ocean boat trips. I'd do that if you can, dealing with currents/coral (buoyancy skills to stay off it) and stinging creatures (to a smaller extent) is of some value.

Also it's good to learn how to splash/re-board the boat b4 you have to do it on your own.

Seahunt appears to do cert. dives off a boat in the ocean since they mention mid-week cert trips so the boat is less full. Not a bad idea either - it can be a little confusing/intimidating to be the new guy on a boat full of experienced divers - esp. if they have to wait for you. A quick look at their calendar indicates they do some good local diving, Pompano, Jupiter or the Keys. I didn't check Idive's trips...

Buy a mask from one of them after trying it on. There's nothing more important than proper fit. If it leaks, you'll be pre-occupied with clearing it when you should be observing/doing skills instead. Boots/Fins buy what you like. Don't spend a lot on a snorkel, just get a basic open bore model - if you're like many you likely won't use it much after certification. I had a fold-up I carried in a BC pocket till it rotted and I have another one that goes on every dive trip but generally stays in my bag at the hotel. I used it once in the past 5 years to snorkel with whalesharks on Utila.

Dive shops make a profit selling you basic gear. So they generally encourage you to buy everything from them. Price things on the internet also, Leisurepro, Scubatoys, Divers Supply are reputable options also.
You also may have a Divers Direct store near you - they're generally like a diver's superstore.

hth, I'm not a regular SoFl diver so can't help much with specific recommendations.
thanks im probably going to go for the pack with sea hunt that includes trips. also for seahunt i talked to them and now they just mail a dvd and book instead of a code. i have fins a mask and snorkel (i have had these for a while). so what do you think would be the better option?
also thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom