Help Identify Shark Egg Case, Central Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viti

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I took this picture of a shark egg case just outside of Whaler's cove, Point Lobos, California, on Friday, February 1. It was located in a sandy area adjacent to the middle reef, about 25 feet deep. Does anyone know what species it belongs to?

Attachments

• IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,216
It's an egg case of a swell shark, and often called a mermaid's purse.
They are my favorite egg case to find because I can often see the baby shark by shining my dive light from behind the case. Handle gently and please don't detach them from anything they are enmeshed in.

More info at this great link.

The horn shark egg cases look like a drill. Also cool! (Link here.]

Nice find!

~~~~
Claudette

Thanks, I thought it was a swell shark but wanted independant confirmation. I've only seen a swell shark in the wild once, when I caught one on a hook and line off Cayucos pier (it was released in good condition). The shark was totally inflated with water and looked something like a cross between a leopard shark and Jabba the Hut. They are very cool critters and I'm so glad I saw an egg case.

Matt

Claudette beat me to it.

Back
Top Bottom