Help identifying stone triangle found at Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eolson76

New
Reaction score
I found this triangle near the Georgetown harbor, Grand Cayman. A day later, I found what appears to be part of a similar item, about halfway up Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman. Any ideas what it is? It appears to be either concretion (either cut out of, or formed in something) or concrete? The materials appear slightly different. The larger piece is largely gray with bits of quartz, sand or glass inclusions. The smaller piece is mainly pink, and contains more white chunks, possibly coral bits. But the larger piece does have some pink areas that match the smaller piece. The backs are smooth, and there is a slight curve to the piece. I don't believe it can be a Taino three-pointer, and it doesn't match the looks of any deburring triangles I can find. I'm guessing it has modern, common origins, however I would still love to figure out what it is. Thanks for the help and ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 278
My first impression is some concrete chunks that have been tumbled by wave action... like sea glass.

Or pieces of material broken free from an underwater structure built by aliens a thousand years ago...

just a couple of guesses

I found this triangle near the Georgetown harbor, Grand Cayman. A day later, I found what appears to be part of a similar item, about halfway up Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman. Any ideas what it is? It appears to be either concretion (either cut out of, or formed in something) or concrete? The materials appear slightly different. The larger piece is largely gray with bits of quartz, sand or glass inclusions. The smaller piece is mainly pink, and contains more white chunks, possibly coral bits. But the larger piece does have some pink areas that match the smaller piece. The backs are smooth, and there is a slight curve to the piece. I don't believe it can be a Taino three-pointer, and it doesn't match the looks of any deburring triangles I can find. I'm guessing it has modern, common origins, however I would still love to figure out what it is. Thanks for the help and ideas!

The island has been hit by hurricanes multiple times in recorded history, that could be pieces of a concrete dock or other structure, destroyed in a storm and then smoothed by the sea over time. Are you still on the island? You could take the pieces (or send the pictures) to the Cayman Islands National Museum near the Harbor and ask if they can identify the pieces.

Cayman Islands National Museum | Culture and Heritage | George Town

It looks a lot like pieces of mortar used under plaster prior to drywall to make walls in homes. They would smear the mortar over wood latts then coat it with plaster. Old pieces would have the pattern of the latt on the back. That could also be something similar like stucco. Not sure what is/was used locally in Cayman. Asking at a museum sounds best.

The way the larger piece is slightly curved looks like some sort of a vessel or container like a bowl, plate, amphora?? or aliens.

It looks like worn construction debris to me also. I found something vaguely similar once off Bonaire at Bari Reef,
A hurricane about a decade earlier trashed a resort and a lot of it was pushed into the ocean - big slabs of worn concrete are still present.

Your find really looks like concrete though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom