HELP!!! I'm a bad swimmer!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm:
Hey, I was a terrible swimmer, until 6 months ago. I had so much back problem from last year, I decided on a gentler exercise.

I started working on endurance in the pool using snorkel and mask. The started working on my breathing and stop using the snorkel about 3 weeks into my training. Signed up for about 4 swim lessons to work on my breast stroke.

I just did over 1 mile (84 lenghts of a 20 yard pool) yesterday, and regularly swim 3/4 mile several times a week. 6 months ago, I could barely do 20 yards with the crawl and barely 10 yards with the breast stroke.

You can teach an old dog a new trick, and I am 43.

She is not an old dog, however. She is barely a hatchling. Take a look. WOW !

You have a couple of choices. You can practice on your own and probably get comfortable but have a lot of inefficiencies in your stroke, which makes swimming more frustrating and less likely that you will not keep doing it. You can take group swim lessons. These are usually populated by youngsters and may not offer the level of training that you want (Red Cross level 5 and 6, stroke improvement.) You can sign up for private swim lessons one-on-one with an instructor. Cost are only marginally more expensive than group lessons when you factor in time the instructor actually spends on you. You can also find a Masters Swimming group. These are adults, they swim a structured workout, and they handle all levels of swimmer (that is, you share a lane with swimmers of like ability). I am a swim instructor, occassional swim coach, and a masters swimmer who could not efficiently swim when I started diving 20+ years ago. I used a stroke coach to get me started on doing it right and then just swam laps. It made a big difference in my diving because I was very comfortable in the water.

I signed up for an adult swim lesson group class. It was almost semiprivate, as half of the time, there were only 2 people. The teacher was an experienced older instructor, and she gave me some very good pointers.

I actually learned alot by watching more experienced swimmers when I was swimming with snorkels... Others told me they learned alot from swimming videos.

If I were you I'd sign up for some private lessons. You might be able to find a high school or college swim instructor interested in making some extra money. I'm sure you can pick up the other strokes. Swimming a mile is a huge accomplishment for a non-swimmer especially.
I've been swimming since I was about 3yo so I have a hard time understanding not being able to swim but I'm sure it's like any other motor skill. Can't be any harder than learning to ski as an adult. Or horseback ride?
The most important thing is to get in the water and do what you're doing, swim.
By the way, I'm doing rescue diver now and going straight on to divemaster course. How is it?
I started one of my friends who was a non-swimmer with snorkel and mask. It helped her to be able to learn the crawl without worrying about breathing. Good plan! Nothing wrong with a breast stroke anyway. That's what I used to race in and it's my favorite stroke for distance/energy conservation.

i have been swimming four hours a week for 2 months now and i feel more comfortable in the water while diving, but specially while freediving
it also helps you get fit
swimmers have the best bodies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom