Help....I'm new and got questions :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awesome!

I guess I will buy some equipment now then something that will last me longer then 5 dives...

I'm guessing most stores are about the same price? (any place specific in Toronto that has "better" pricing then the rest?)

My advice is that you really should buy scuba gear at a scuba dive shop, not at a discount store IE sams club/wal mart. their gear might be ok for a little snorkeling but NOT for scuba. A good set of mask snorkel and fins will cost you$250.00 US or more (my Scubapro mask snorkel and fins cost about $450) but it will last a very very long time with proper use and care. make sure you try on the mask before you buy it, have the instructor at the dive shop help you get a proper fit.... this is the single most important piece of gear for a comfortable positive dive experience.

I wish you the best with your scuba class and cool vacation.

Ask the dive shop if they will let you demo the equipment in a pool (or at least exchange what you buy if you try it once in a pool and don't like it). Make sure the mask is comfortable, fins don't cut your feet, etc. While you are taking lessons is an ideal time for this. Most dive shops give lessons and will probably let you jump in the pool with one of their classes to try out the equipment. You really do not want to be trying out the new equipment for the first time on your trip.

Best time to buy is when they are unloading discontinued models. Most dive shops have annual sales where you can save a ton. If you are in a hurry to buy this might not be an option. Minimally they should cut you a deal if you are buying a full set.

Another reason to research shops is many of them organize dive trips which is a great way to go to some really cool places and meet other divers.

I really don't have a choice...

I got my OW day 1 this sat...and I need my gear by then...I guess that's a pretty good idea and ask if they will let me test out the equipment....I will buy it from them if it is good....

Yeah...can't get annual sales...
Day 1 Feb 20
Day 2 Feb 27...In Mexico doing referral dive March 4:)

Thanks for all the great input :)

I really don't have a choice...

I got my OW day 1 this sat...and I need my gear by then...I guess that's a pretty good idea and ask if they will let me test out the equipment....I will buy it from them if it is good....

Yeah...can't get annual sales...
Day 1 Feb 20
Day 2 Feb 27...In Mexico doing referral dive March 4:)

Thanks for all the great input :)

The first thing you need to do is get a mask that fits your face. Don't look at the price, style or color, just find a mask with the skirt that fits you. Since you are in the frozen north, forget full foot fins. You will need open heel fins. If it were me, I would hit a big box sporting goods store and get a pair of "river boots". They will work just as well as scuba booties and cost less. Once you have those, then shop for fins at your dive shop. A snorkel is a plastic straw that many of us ditch as soon as possible. Buy a cheap one.

We have been to Akumal many times and love the place. The AI where you will be staying is south of the three dive shops in downtown Akumal. The shop we like is the Akumal Dive Center.

You are right that getting to PDC may be a problem. A taxi ride is expensive and while there is a system of vans called Collectivos that are cheap and will get you there, it is time consuming. Stick with the shops in Akumal but by all means spend at least one evening on 5th Ave in PDC.

Have a great trip and welcome to diving.

Another suggestion - order the map: Maps of Area and information
check these out and order ASAP. All the info you will need and then some about the area. Really really good information, too.

The first thing you need to do is get a mask that fits your face. Don't look at the price, style or color, just find a mask with the skirt that fits you. Since you are in the frozen north, forget full foot fins. You will need open heel fins. If it were me, I would hit a big box sporting goods store and get a pair of "river boots". They will work just as well as scuba booties and cost less. Once you have those, then shop for fins at your dive shop. A snorkel is a plastic straw that many of us ditch as soon as possible. Buy a cheap one.

We have been to Akumal many times and love the place. The AI where you will be staying is south of the three dive shops in downtown Akumal. The shop we like is the Akumal Dive Center.

You are right that getting to PDC may be a problem. A taxi ride is expensive and while there is a system of vans called Collectivos that are cheap and will get you there, it is time consuming. Stick with the shops in Akumal but by all means spend at least one evening on 5th Ave in PDC.

Have a great trip and welcome to diving.

Thanks for the great info!!!!

Yeah...I'm thinking of spending a full day in PDC....

One last thing, take Robint's advise on the maps. They are worth more than their weight in gold. For Akumal you need the Riviera Maya and if you plan on visiting PDC, get that one as well.

I would like to purchase one...but they are all SOLD OUT!!!! :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom