Help me choose the right Coz Dive op for us...

Who should we dive with???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goofygirl, Consider Aqua Safari. I just returned and had a great time with them for the day I was there.

Prior to going I had 8 dives (all OW cert dives) and one private pool session. We did Coz after four ocean dives at PDC (two on Mon and two on tues) and two cenote dives.

We had two DM's on the boat that both went in with us. One led the dive the other followed and made sure everybody was together and doing well. If someone had to come up early the second DM brought them up and then came back down to help out. You can read my report on that dive on another thread. They have 4 boats that leave in the morning and for the most part they tried to match skill levels. I was lucky enough to have two very experienced dive buddies with me so we did what I thought to be over my experience level but with the knowledge from both of my buddies that I could call it at any time or they could if they felt I wasn't handling it well. All in all I did not find the Coz dive to be that difficult. I'm sure some of the dives there are well beyond my ability but I didn't have any interest in doing those. Not all the dives are swim threws at 130'.

Have Fun While there

Thank you to those who gave me some constructive advice. I will of course take it to heart.

I would like to now return to our regullarly scheduled program-

Which Dive op should I go with???

I will of course plan my dives according to my experience level and clearly communicate my experience level to said dive op.

Any DIVE OP recommendations???

"I know Walter is being protective, and I appreciate that, but WHOA he's pretty adamant!"

My online bedside manner needs work.

goofygirl:
Thank you to those who gave me some constructive advice. I will of course take it to heart.

I would like to now return to our regullarly scheduled program-

Which Dive op should I go with???

I will of course plan my dives according to my experience level and clearly communicate my experience level to said dive op.

Any DIVE OP recommendations???

Christi at BlueXTSea has a good reputation with newer divers. I'm sure if you let her know your concerns she'll take good care of you.

Cozumel has advanced dive sites. That doesn't mean all the diving is advanced. Just let your operator/DM know your experience level and concerns. You will have a good time.

Goofygirl,

I asked the same questions in early Dec and got several recomendations, all of which came with rave reviews, none of which I used due to scheduling conflicts.

What I can tell you is that BlueXTSea has been very responsive and even helped me try an find a different charter after we realized that I couldn't dive with them. Being that this website is a divers forum, any of the recomendations that you get will be good. Just let the DiveMaster know that you and your new hubby are new, and they will take care of you.

Have fun and dive safe...

-Michael

I suggest AQUA SAFARI. Let them know upfront what your diving history/background is and what you're comfortable with. Enjoy Cozumel! Safe diving!

Goofygirl -- being a lazy person, the first dive op I consider is the onsite one at the hotel. Only if that one is unsuitable for some reason is there a need to look any further.

Be honest with your dive operator, your DM, and the other divers in your group as to your experience or lack of experience.

Pay attention to the briefings and ASK rather than assume --- if you don't really, really understand the plan and procedures, ask before getting into the water.

You are responsible for your own safety. Don't blindly follow, or blindly rely upon a DM.

Cozumel has a wide variety of dive sites, from beginner to very advanced. I see no problem at with someone of your experience going to Cozumel.

To get back "into the swing of things" after your dry spell, you should do a shore dive shortly after your arrival, either by yourselves or with a DM from the onsite dive operator. Another good way to get back up to speed is to make your first boat dive an afternoon shallow dive. Many operators make a 1 or 2 tank afternoon trip to shallow reefs like Paradise/Paraiso.

ENJOY!!!!!!

Charlie

Is aqua safari the same outfit that Sergio Sandoval runs? (aquatic safari?/ Aquatic adventures?)or is that another dive op? I can't remember Sergios dive ops name, but I recommend them for a mewbie.

If you go with a conservative dive op and are cautious (which it appears from your posts that you will be), you will have NO problems in Coz. I dove with Alison Dennis (www.scubawithalison.com) when I took my son down to Coz for his first post OW cert trip.The situation was very controlled and safe even for a newbie.

The "scary dives in Coz" situation appears to have been caused by an inexperienced diver getting too aggressive with their choice of dive site. That wouldn't be a problem for a normally cautious new diver.

Bottom line. Don't worry too much. Be careful which dive op you choose (I would recommend Alison's op). And make sure that you let the DM know your experience level and your desires.

Have fun.

Rich Hagelin

Goofygirl,

Hopefully, where you plan to stay has a pier. It will make your diving days soooo much easier. I have used Agua Safari in the past. They have two shops, one in the center, and one located right inside the Plaza Las Glorias hotel. We stayed at the hotel, ate in town and dove right from the hotel pier with Aqua Safari..
For your purposes I would recommed them. Talk to them, tell them EXACTLY what your experience level is and what you wish to do. They are good about arranging what you want.

I am going back in May with the Lunarfins, a long standing Houston based dive club. We will be diving with Caryitos Divers. However, Caryitos specialize in more advanced dives, using HP steel tanks and doing only two longer dives a day. Also we will be traveling in taxi to their operation, a minor inconvenience. We stayed at the PLG hotel, ate in town and dove right from the hotel pier with Aqua Safari..

Walter is right about the relative ease of diving at Bonaire... I have dove there off and on for over 40 years. However, if you keep in mind that you will be dealing with some current, manage your buoyancy well, pick your dive operator wisely, (as you seem to be doing) take the time to plan your dives, check your and your buddy,s equipment and dive you plan, you should have a wonderful time in Coz. PS..If you guys don't have a sausage, get them, aloing with some nylon line and stainless clip for deployment. I have a figure "8" knot in my line at 15'. Makes the safety stop a "no brainer". Again, have a wonderful time!!!

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom