Help me please, I'm going crazy! Where to go diving from Toronto - July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheers Robin, I shall check it out.

One last question...are the diving costs and living costs that much less at Cozumel when compared to Caye caulker, as I imagined it would be pretty cheap out there.

I think Cozumel is so cheap due to competition. There are probably close to 50 dive ops there, so they keep prices low. Most of them only own 1 small 6-pack boat and don't even have a dive shop. They get their tanks from a central distribution fill station on island. A few dive ops have bigger boats, they are mostly associated with hotels. The big ops and the small ones are all about the same price.

There are large resorts and also small B&B's, tiny hotels, etc on Cozumel.
Same goes for restaurants.... so very many little places that they keep prices low to compete. Unfortunately, KFC and McD's have come to Cozumel, uggghh, along with Jimmy Buffet and other big chains. The good thing is that the cruise ship people are usually the ones going to those, the divers stay away.
Cozumel is also a bit bigger island and though the cruise ship industry has caused it to become much busier than it was 10 yrs ago when we first went there, it still has the "island" flair. Very Mexican, very Mayan, as long as you stay away from the cruise shipper places.

Over on the Mainland, Playa del Carmen area, it is different yet. Much more of a European influence with many Germans and Italians living there full time. Lots of big resorts but tons of funky, little hotels that are cheap. Same goes for restuarants as Cozumel. Ditto the diving... lots of little dive shops, prices low.

robin

If I were you I would not book anything until the week before. If you're not 'set' on any one resort it opens up a lot of cheap potential places. Resorts and charters don't like having empty seats/beds so the best deals are last minute.

From Toronto Sunwing has all inclusives+flight to Roatan for $700 (tx in). Cozumel seems to be the same thing too.

Canadian dollar is going to parity with the US dollar and will be there by July (knock on wood since I love shopping in Buffalo). I don't know how that will affect your purchase plans since you will be converting into Canadian dollars if you buy here.

Back
Top Bottom