Help me spend my tax return!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ratherbefishin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to spend part of my tax return on getting my first BP/W setup. However, its a bad economy so I want to make the money go as far as possible (hello online vendors). After reading SB a ton for the past while, I've decided I'm definitely going SS BP with the 30 lb Travel wing from Dive-Rite.

What am I missing:
Travel Wing $159 (Scubatoys)
DR Cam latch tank straps 2x$30 (Scubatoys)
DR SS Backplate $96 (LP)
DR Deluxe harness with quick release buckles $39 (LP)
OR
DR Transplate harness $76 (LP)

Which harness would be better? I like the idea of the buckles on the transplate harness that let you release it at the shoulders, but it seems like everyone thinks the simpler the harness the better (and possibly so).

Intended use for this BP/W would be quarry diving here in NC, hopefully some warm water trips this year :cool2:, and maybe eventually wreck diving off the coast when I'm experienced. No plan to go to doubles in the near future, hence the singles wing.

Thanks in advance, I'm ready to stimulate the economy :dork2:

I'm planning to spend part of my tax return on getting my first BP/W setup. However, its a bad economy so I want to make the money go as far as possible.

Thanks in advance, I'm ready to stimulate the economy :dork2:

If you are getting a tax refund and you REALLY want to make your money go as far as possible...

I suggest you use any money you get back to pay an accountant to advise you on how to avoid using YOUR hard-earned money to provide the GOVERNMENT with a 16-month, interest-free loan.

:D

I think you need to have some painting/re-modeling done. I'll be happy to travel:D

OP - I didnt' even READ past your title.

Here is how you can spend your tax return.

I want the SeaLife DC800 Pro camera. Contact Divers Inc. to place the order. Tell Rich it is for gNats, he will contact me when it is in stock.

I need dry suit undies. I heard of a lady in eBay that makes custom orders for $150. I'm a size Small.

Several people have told me I should upgrade to a bp/w. I hear the Dive Rite BP is nice.

If you have money left over after those purchases, let me know. There are also little odds and ends that I want.

Sorry, but I would wager $1 that I will not be the only smartass to post something along these lines. :D

Several people have told me I should upgrade to a bp/w. I hear the Dive Rite BP is nice.

Hey, if the OP is buying you might want to look at Halcyon too!

If you are getting a tax refund and you REALLY want to make your money go as far as possible...

I suggest you use any money you get back to pay an accountant to advise you on how to avoid using YOUR hard-earned money to provide the GOVERNMENT with a 16-month, interest-free loan.

:D

Yup, if he invested that money in the stock market instead of loaning it free to Uncle Sam, he would only have to worry about spending 1/2 the amount.

Last edited:
Yup, if he invested that money in the stock market instead of loaning it free to Uncle Sam, he would only have to worry about spending 1/2 the amount.

LOL - I should have loaned my 401k to the US Treasury back in January. I'd be looking forward to getting it all back in a few weeks!

I'd make sure the travel wing will mount on the SS plate. Some versions are only intended for use on the transpack. Also, the travel wing may require a STA. I'd also suggest a simple Hog harness. And you might as well source everything from one place (scubatoys will price match) where you can discuss the full kit (like the STA issue).

The new Travel 360 wing can be mounted onto a hard plate. The old Travel wing cannot be. So make sure you get the right one.

Also, do get the SMP (single tank mounting plate) for single tank usage. That's Dive Rite's fancy name for the STA.

With the SS hard plate and the SMP on your rig, you wouldn't need much weight to sink at all.

Haha, some good smartass replies here. How do people survive a Monday at work without sarcasm? I wouldn't dare attempt.
And, I'm a nice guy, I'd love to buy you all what you want...but I work in education, so lets not overestimate my purchasing power here.

Awap: Scubatoys price matches? Seriously? I'll look into that, because the BP is out of stock at LP anyway.

Fnfal: It is the Travel 360, thanks for clarifying that though. Is the STA necessary? That almost seems like too much non-ditchable weight, adding 2.5 lbs to the SS BP.

And lastly, why are there so many 2 and 3 letter acronyms in this sport? I feel like I'm writing in code.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom