Help me spend my tax return!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are getting a tax refund and you REALLY want to make your money go as far as possible...

I suggest you use any money you get back to pay an accountant to advise you on how to avoid using YOUR hard-earned money to provide the GOVERNMENT with a 16-month, interest-free loan.

:D

Big ditto here and if I could talk him into hog harness I would - cheaper, easier, better.......I have tried them all.

Hi Rather,
I would recommend checking out the Venture wing over the Travel wing. All the same size, lift, & specs, but made of the same sturdy material (1680 denier) as all the other DR wings instead of 1000 denier. Consider the Transplate Package which includes the harness w/ QRs & D-rings, bp, cam straps, crotch strap w/ scooter ring, etc. Diverrite gives dealers a break on complete packages but charges more for individual parts so the dealers can pass that savings on to you. Call the dealers like scubatoys to see if they will hook you up with a better deal on a package rather than pieces/parts from several sources.

Also don't hesitate to call the nice folks at Dive-Rite in FL for anwers to your questions before you order from your chosen LDS or online dealer. SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc

I love my transpac/venture wing and will probably be ordering a transplate/venture wing pckg soon.

Safe diving!

I've decided I'm definitely going SS BP with the 30 lb Travel wing from Dive-Rite. ... Which harness would be better? I like the idea of the buckles on the transplate harness that let you release it at the shoulders, but it seems like everyone thinks the simpler the harness the better (and possibly so).
Of the two, go with the Deluxe. The Transplate is nice, but I doubt you need the padding. I like having a quick-release on one shoulder, for diving dry. For wetsuit, I prefer a simple one piece harness.
ratherbefishin:
Intended use for this BP/W would be quarry diving here in NC, hopefully some warm water trips this year, and maybe eventually wreck diving off the coast when I'm experienced.
SS plate and Travel wing will serve you quite well.
Thanks in advance, I'm ready to stimulate the economy
I'm curious. Why not stimulate the local economy?

I haven't seen BP/W for sale anywhere around here. Everything just seems to be jacket BCs.
If you are in Durham, you should visit Water World, where they do have a BP on display, and you can talk with the manager, Eric Hawkins about them as well. Or, drive to Raleigh, where Down Under Surf and Scuba has BPs (Halcyon, Dive Rite) on display, and the manager Aaron Harmon and the owner (Scott Powell) both dive BPs, and are a wealth of information. Plus, there are A LOT of BP divers in their scuba club, so not only does the shop stock them, there are opportunities to try them out as well before purchasing.
awap:
Do you know of any local shops that will match Scubatoy's deals?
Good question. Without getting into the usual LDS vs on-line question, where price is the (only) arbiter, I have found shops that will match certain Scubatoys deals, but you have to ask, and the matching is most likely to be available for a regular / frequent customer for whom the shop may be willing to adjust prices. My intended point was actually a little different, though, and was just what I said, 'Why not support the local economy'. It was more of a general 'buy local' comment, than only a 'support your LDS' suggestion. A newer diver, getting involved in purchasing equipment, might find added value in linking up with a local diving community. Scubatoys is great, and useful for items that are not available locally - I have purchased rock boots from them, at the suggestion of my LDS, because they were not available locally, except by special order.

Just like Colliam7 has said, go to some of the local shops. If you haven't seen any BP/W's for sale you haven't been looking very hard.

I'd definitely go to the two shops he has mentioned. Why not go to them with a list of all the things you want/need and see what they can do for you price wise. Just be upfront and show them the prices you have seen elsewhere. Give the locals a chance to either price match or come close. By the time you factor in shipping from possibly different dealers, the final price may not be all that different. And even if it's a little more, for me it would be worth it to establish a good relationship with a local dive shop that may be able to help you out with more than just gear purchases. Something a online shop can't do. I'd also rather buy at a place where I can try things on for proper fit and get it right the first time.

Online shops certainly have a place in the diving community but they'll never replace the value of the LDS overall. (In my opinion)

By the way Colliam7 and ratherbefishin,

Water World is having their annual spring party March 21st. There will be a big pig on the grill along with chicken, fish, etc. and MY very own world famous carrot cake! You gotta get that first because it goes fast!

Hope you guys will be there.

Water World is having their annual spring party March 21st. There will be a big pig on the grill along with chicken, fish, etc. and MY very own world famous carrot cake!
I have put it on the calender. How could one possibly miss such an opportunity. I probably should forewarn Eric that I am planning to attend, and will be prepared to regale any and all with stories of his tec diving prowess.

Back
Top Bottom