Help Needed, Video field of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KN6F

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post here and I'm looking for some help with video cameras. I teach Electrical/Robotics at Long Beach City College and in building ROVs, my students are leaving my area of expertise.

Their first video cams were small units that would fit into a 20mm cube. They fixed the lens up to an acrylic plate and then encapsulated the camera in a slow cure acrylic (EnviroTex). This sealed the camera just fine, but they had the flat plate in front which then narrowed the field of view of the lens.

This year, they would like to encapsulate these cameras into a form that would widen the field of view rather than narrow. Their current idea is if they set the camera into a dome mold and then pour the acrylic the result might be increase in the field of view.

All of the index of refraction information that they've come up with typically deal with flat plates and has stayed away from the curved fronts.

So, that you have the picture, the idea is
Dome shaped acrylic
Some distance X from the front of the dome, the camera lens would be positioned
Area between the front of the dome and the lens is the acrylic.
Entire camera is encased in acrylic
The whole assembly is about the size of a 35mm round film canister.

So here's my question after all that. Can anyone help out with the optics involved in calculating this setup and what the resultant field of view might be?

For those interested, you can see last year's ROV where they used ethernet cams mounted in Acrylic tubes at
http://elect.lbcc.edu/VEII.pdf

Thanks
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom