Help !!! Out of focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

endo6306

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For the life of me, I can't seem to get my Still pics in focus. Tried all types of variations, macro, supermacro, standard, all out of focus. What should the braketing type be for underwater still pics?

"Bracketing" has to do with exposure. What does that have to do with focus?

What camera/lens?

Morning,

Check that you have Quick Shot turned off. This is found in the Menu settings. AT DC1400 Online Tips and Technical Updates | Sealife Cameras item 15 discusses focusing issues. If you still have problems with the focus please contact us.

I'm using the DC1400 with standard lens with double flash setup. My pictures are taken in low light conditions ( green water at 40 feet). My question regarding the braketing is because the camera gives me a ``green`` ok box on the center screen, which should mean that i'm in focus. I had it set to spot metering. Quickshot is turn off. I will try to get some sample pics uploaded. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm curious as to what you figure out. After a four year diving hiatus, I am finally getting back in the water on a trip to Florida in the beginning of January. One of the last times I was diving in 2011, I had flooded my SeaLife DC1200 and had to get a new camera. I took it diving a few months later with no issues, but now, 4 years later, even in my kitchen with plenty of light and no housing on the camera, all my pictures are coming out blurry??!

Good luck with your issues!

Do you mean blurry from out-of-focus or blurry from camera motion?
Can you post an example blurry pix?

tursiops, I'm not sure if you meant me or original poster, but I just messed around with my camera again, looking in the Menu to see if I could find Quick Shot and turn that off. Amazingly, I found that and turned it off, turned Image stabilizer on, and voila! My pictures of my son's tiny toy motorcycle on the kitchen counter look much better! What was worrying me was that even when I would push the shutter button half way, it wouldn't adjust the focus at all. Now I can hear it changing the focus and the lighting looks way better. I had pretty much everything set to auto, but maybe that tiny change of turning quick shot off, image stabilize on made enough difference. Before finding those in the menu options, I took a couple photos with the timer, setting the camera on the counter and taking a picture, just to make sure it wasn't me being shaky but even then it was either focusing on anything in the background or just all around blurry. My pictures are too big to post an example but it seems like I might have found the problem anyway.

IME "out of focus" is motion blur at least 90% of the time. Last years (?) firmware update helped a bit, but mostly it's just making sure you keep your hands steady and shoot mid-breath -- like a sniper shoots between the heartbeats. :wink:

Edit: this is on a 1400, not 1200 -- don't know about shutter lag on that one.

Back
Top Bottom