Help please...Zeagle, Mares, or Genesis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had the choice I would buy a used Zeagle Ranger over a new Mares BC anyday if cost is a concern. Just find a realible source to purchase it from. I have had one for years and if you take care of it, it is practically indestructible. If I ever do wear mine out I will buy a new one the next day.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html

I myself use a Deep Sea Supply BP/W rig, and absolutly love it!.... But this does seem like a good comprimise if you are on a tight budget. I've never used one myself, but do know someone who has and likes it. I'm a firm believer in buying the right thing once (or at least trying to) rather then buying whats convenient and having to buy all over again in a year or so.

Krawdaddy - any reason why you would buy a used Ranger over a new Mares?
(I like explanation...sorry)

It's not a slant on Mares in any way, I honestly have never tried a Mares BC. My opinion was based entirely on my experience with Zeagle products and their reputation for quality. If you take care of them they will look and perform like new for years.

If you're planning a cold-water outfit, you really should consider a BP&W. DSS or OxyCheq are my favorites.

You're going to carry enough weight just to offset your exposure protection...you should add a positively buoyant BC to the mix. A backplate is negative, taking some of the weight off your belt instead of needing extra.

Mike

Wow - took 12 replies to get to "BP/W" recommendation.

:eyebrow:

+1

One thing I've noticed is that much of the argument for BP/W that gets thrown around is "because they're better". Thanks to it_mike for at least explaining a bit of this "better" is in the weight distribution re: the backplate, but can someone give me legitimate pros/cons for a back inflate bcd that I'm looking for vs. BP/W without just saying "I agree" or "they're so much better" or "+1" (no offense meant to previous poster)

One thing I've noticed is that much of the argument for BP/W that gets thrown around is "because they're better". Thanks to it_mike for at least explaining a bit of this "better" is in the weight distribution re: the backplate, but can someone give me legitimate pros/cons for a back inflate bcd that I'm looking for vs. BP/W without just saying "I agree" or "they're so much better" or "+1" (no offense meant to previous poster)

One of the main things for me is the "less is more" simplicity benefit of a BP/W vs a traditional BCD...

More...

512JzXU6QRL._AA280_.jpg

Less...

Eclipse_Harness_021.2.jpg

There's just little/no need for all kinds of clips and buckles and snaps and zippers and stuff - for me anyway.

As also mentioned, getting weight off your waist and up around your lungs really helps most people with trim.

The one-piece webbed harness is infinitely adjustable allowing for a perfect fit regardless of body type/size, different exposure suits, etc.

Lastly - and a given when compared to traditional BCDs - is that a BP/W offers the flexibility to dive singles or doubles, advance into technical diving, etc. A traditional BCD has de facto limitations that are just not present for a BP/W rig

A couple of things on the Scout; I believe you can get a bigger wing and it isn't weight integrated, but rather has trim pockets in the back. Can't comment on the others, or on BP/W for that matter.

Krawdaddy - any reason why you would buy a used Ranger over a new Mares?
(I like explanation...sorry)

...of your list, I'd go for a Ranger too.....I have 4 set ups, an old Ranger (my 1st BC)...and 3 custom harness/BP/wing set ups. I'm not gonna go into the BP/wing discussion here, as there are already at least a billion threads already on that, and I'm insanely bored by that topic by now.......if I had to pick one BC I most commonly see other divers using, it's a Ranger....kinda the 'AK-47' of the BC world. Is it the best BC in the world?.....no....is it perfect? ....no.......but it's of high enough quality, and overall sufficient design, to get the job done......moreover, I've found Scott Zeagle (the Zeagle rep here on Scubaboard) to be very responsive to product/part inquiries....and the longest I've waited for parts is a week or so, so no complaints there. Also, since the Ranger is so common, it's easy to get a good deal on a low-mileage used one on E-Bay......also, Scubatoys frequently runs sales and they even have a used/demo gear section where you can usually score an essentially new unit for a substantial discount, with warranty. I have no experience with Mares BC's...however I do have a few Mares regs, and I've found them to be fine performers, with no complaints.

I've looked around, and I might be able to find a deal on a Ranger...I still just don't know, as I've never gotten to try one out (and the limited number of divers I know here dive with Jacket style). I saw one guy on a boat trip with a Ranger, but this was before I got into the whole BP/W vs Jacket debate.
So confusing...but we will see.
Do you folks feel that you can trust something such as E-Bay?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom