Help please...Zeagle, Mares, or Genesis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set-up figured out for my cold-water diving here in San Luis and up along the coast to Monterey. So far I've got the Octo, Reg, and Gauges figured out, but I can't decide on the BC (too many options...so hard...)
So I have decided to ask SB's opinion:
The Mares Pegasus
Genesis Omni
or Zeagle Scout?

<SNIP>

What criteria (other than price) led you to those three?

Lift Needs
A BC should offer enough lift to meet three different needs.
a) It needs to float you at the surface, in your heaviest gear configuration, in the worst conditions you will face; and
b) It should make you neutral at your most over weighted (see explanation below); and
c) It should float your entire rig (without you in it) at the surface when it is the heaviest.

a) Most divers (I am excluding doubles, can light, etc.) start the dive at the surface slightly negative (the difference between a full tank and an empty tank). The reason is simple: you want to be neutral at about 10 or 15 FSW with about 500 pounds of air in your tank. Now for the worst conditions: think poor water conditions and a leak in your dry suit (if you are diving dry). Adjust for all of that.
b) When you submerge, your suit will compress. This will make you more negative at depth than at the surface. You need to account for this with your BC. You need enough lift for that. Note: This does not mean you should ever be weighted with more lead than you need to do (a) above.
c) Add up the weight of all of your gear (full tank, weights in the pockets, etc.) -- the BC needs to float all of your gear at the surface.

Fit
A BC needs to fit you right -- wearing whatever suit you will be wearing. Few things are worse than fighting poorly fitting gear. Try it on. With a tank (and ideally in a pool -- perhaps rent one for an OW dive).

Jacket or Back Inflate
I will avoid the back and forth and not two distinctions. A back inflate does take a tad bit of getting used to (although when properly weighted, I don't feel like I will tip forward as some claim). Second, a jacket BC does sort of squeeze you as it inflates (especially fully). That said, it never bothered me -- more like a hug than an anaconda.

BP/W
I am a convert. Others are not. Here is what I like:
a) If you get the right sized plate, you can dial in the harness to be a 100% perfect fit.
b) Super stable.
c) The weight of a SS plate is over your lungs -- probably the best place trim wise to have the weight. And the weight of the plate comes off of your belt.
d) Simple and customizable. You can replace the harness material for about $10. You can add another D ring for about $5 or $10.
e) You can pick the right/best wing for the job. No need to have the drag of a BC with 40 pounds of lift for my tropical dive. I will use a 17 or 20 singles wing. Diving cold? I can buy that 30 or 40 pound wing. Doubles, I can get that 70 pound monster. It is modular.

Here are the downsides:
a) Simple means fewer danglies. That means you have to add weight pockets if you want that. You have to add a storage pocket (ideally to the thigh of your suit) if you want that. But it all works for me!
b) Getting in and out is not a big deal. But it is not like hitting the button on a quick release either.
c) Modular means options and options mean choices. I like the DSS and Oxyxheq although Halcyon is a great product as well.

Where can you find plates/wings?
I suspect many local divers use them. Go to a popular local site on a weekend. Or check with the local dive club
Halcyon dealers are at US Dealers | Halcyon Dive Systems ; DSS are at https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=links ; Oxycheq are at Dealer-US

What should you think about?
IMHO:
Your budget (perhaps even renting a few times)
Lift
Fit
Style
Current Needs & Future uses

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom