Help: Soft corners on Canon S110 + Ikelite + UWL-28M52 (but not on Nauticam housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boy22ban

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need your opinion on this everyone, and thanks in advance for the help.

I am now looking to get a wide angle lens for my system: Canon S110 on an Ikelite housing.

My local dive shop was offering the FIX UWL-28M52 for a decent price and its now looking like a winner. The package includes an iDas step-up ring (52 to 67).

I tried it on in the shop (camera in Ikelite), and I noticed some blurring on the edges of the image (left and right).

The weird thing is that I tried the lens on a Nauticam housing (same camera, lens and step-up ring) and the image was crisp all around. What gives? The camera and the lens work well, and it looks like its a housing issue. My guess is it has something to do with how the lens is set on the housing.

Is this a topside thing? Will the blurring disappear underwater (with water between the lens and the port)? Or, will the dome port cure this blurring effect underwater somehow?

Another thing is that the step-up ring allows me to screw it in "the other way around". This raises the lens a few millimeters higher from the port. I did not try it out, but now I'm thinking that maybe the Ikelite port is "deeper" than the Nauticam port, thus causing this mystery (same principle for the Inon Type 1 / Type 2 distinction maybe?) You think that might help?

The Ikelite port is longer/deeper. You will never get satisfaction. The Nauticam housing is precision made and the lens of the camera is very close to the port glass and at a better position to "sync" up with the external lens. These "wet" lenses are designed for a specific distance from the camera lens. While they do have a range they will operate over there is still one best distance. And as you have found, sure, you can mount the lens, but functionally it is not acceptable.

N

The Ikelite housings tend to have a recessed port. This means there is quite a gap between the end of the thread and the glass.
The nauticam housing have a very little distance between the thread and the glass port.
This creates the issue you mention.
I would recommend the Inon UWL-H100 28M67 Type 1 for your housing
This image for Inon type 1 mount should give the idea
uwlh10028m67t1.jpg

The fix lenses are designed for the fix housing that except having an M52 mount were made at the same factory of the Nauticam housing

Thanks both. I was afraid you were gonna say that :(

The savings on the housing are starting to cancel out now, more so if I'm to get the Inon lens and dome set. And even if I do, I am afraid that the lens (particularly the type 1) might not be compatible with my future systems. By the time I upgrade, the FIX lens might be a better fit for my next system. Would you agree?

Looking at the images side-by-side now and I'm thinking I *might be able to live with the soft corners. Do you think the blurring will improve/worsen underwater?

I've read that stopping down aperture helps reduce the blurring. Is this true?

Attachments

• wide-compare-cross section.jpg
    wide-compare-cross section.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 70
  • wide-compare-cross section.jpg
    wide-compare-cross section.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 58
You can stop down but corners will be poor no matter what

You can change the inon mount to type 2 and re use the lens with another housing. The inon lens is a better lens the UWL28 will never match it but it's a better match in terms of size to the S110. Maybe you can find a Nauticam housing on offer and sell the ikelite but the total cash out will be more. The nauticam housing will also be compatible with other lens mounts. Up to you really

The blurred corners may improve once the lens is wetted out. However, I suspect it is worse than you think it is.

I did a lot of experiments with wet lenses, still am actually. I have repeatedly warned people about looking at the total cash outlay for a system vs. the piece by piece approach. Where the use of accessory lenses is important, it is also important to purchase items with the system approach and end result in mind. it will be cheaper for you, next time.

At this point, I would start thinking about my next outfit rather than pouring money into this one, especially for results you will not be happy with. This will also save you money in the longer view.

N

What is the port distance with the Canon WP-DC47?

The canon housing has no mount unless you get the inon LD bayonet adapter. Once you get the mount this produces excellent quality with the Inon UWL-H100

Last edited:
Update: Was with the wife at the dive shop while testing and she decided to buy the lens to me as a surprise!

This leads me to think that:

1. I undoubtedly married the right woman;
2. I will now be able to test the lens underwater

Tests to follow folks.

Update: I have now found that:

1. The softness is less at 24mm wide, but there is vignetting.

2. The softness is worst at 28mm wide.

3. At 35mm wide, the softness is negligible, but the image is about as wide as without the lens at 24mm - so thats not an option.

Note that these are all on-air observations. Will post sample images shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom