Help to convert old Sharkpoint file to csv

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

magste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Many years ago I used to log my dive using the Sharkpoint 1.5 software. For various reasons (long delays, broken promises from the developer for upgrade pricing, etc) I never upgraded to version 2 when it was released in 2006 or whenever, which would have added csv export possibilities.

I still have my old .sha database file and, since the product has been retired for a long time-although I see the website w demo softare is still up but nobody answers emails - no ability to get the database converted.

I just wonder, as a very long shot :) , if somebody is still using sharkpoint 2 and could volunteer to import my sha file, export it as csv and email it to me (or has an old serial number lying around I can use for this one-off export)? It's only about 75 dives.
Cheers
Magnus

If you post the file, I'll look at it with my favorite editor: Freeware Hex Editor XVI32

Chances are reasonable that it is in some simplistic highly repeated "series of readings" form. It may be rather easy to strip off the header and use Excel's import function to get it to make sense. The rest is easy.

If you choose to upload the file, first change the extension from ".sha" to ".txt". (Save a copy of it on your desktop and rename it before uploading)

We all know it isn't a .txt file, but that will let it get past the upload filters.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the database was more advanced than that, I had a look and it's not even ASCI based. See the screenshot from the hex editor.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 108
From the position of the "thumb" in your pic, you are nowhere near the data. Kudos, if you want to try it yourself. You will learn how to fly an amazing tool.

Data can be big or little endian. Try looking at it (the right-hand panel) both ways.

Cheers

Oh! No, XVI32 makes no assumptions, your file is shown as pure hex. Nothing is assumed, no formatting, no standards, nothing. The right-hand panel starts out with a bunch of standard settings, it is up to you to tune them.

Last edited:
From the position of the "thumb" in your pic, you are nowhere near the data. Kudos, if you want to try it yourself. You will learn how to fly an amazing tool.

Data can be big or little endian. Try looking at it (the right-hand panel) both ways.

Cheers

Oh! No, XVI32 makes no assumptions, your file is shown as pure hex. Nothing is assumed, no formatting, no standards, nothing. The right-hand panel starts out with a bunch of standard settings, it is up to you to tune them.

Cheers. I can't make a head or tale of the file contents, it's beyond my knowledge. I've attached the file for your kind consideration if you can figure it out.
Many thanks!
Magnus

Attachments

• Magnus Logbook_2.txt
    661.5 KB · Views: 102
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom