Help toeing the line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK I see where you are coming from. In that case he's correct there are certain things you can do with his permission and things you can without. Your example is one I'd not have an issue with. The fact you are working on DM tells me you have done rescue. The scenario you presented is one where anyone who is rescue trained and perhaps not would try to assist. Makes perfect sense and was a good call on your part. Other things however that could seem innocuous but may not be appreciated by the instructor without his ok is something as simple as a student asking you to work with them on clearing their mask. First of all unless under instructor supervision you should not be going under the surface with them. Second if your instructor has not determined that your skills are demo quality he may not want you giving them a lesson on mask clearing. Though it may be good and work great for you the technique may not be the one he wants to show and if the student screws it up you'll be the goat. Same with other skills. Ask him to go over your skills and critique them with the goal of being able to demo them with his blessing and supervision. Even a simple Giant Stride would be something you could do as long as the technique is what he expects. But you'll not know until he reviews and signs off on it. Also watch your position. One instructor may want you behind the students so you can get cues from him. Or if doing a line of 4 or more he may want you at the end and then you'd switch as he moved down the line. Again the only way to know what a particular instructor expects is to ask him/her or they just come out and tell you.

As expected, we discussed everything on the trip down to BH. I pretty much just helped out watching w/students in the water but didn't do a whole lot other than help getting equipment together, etc. I did demo the giant stride and got to help the students with their initial equipment put-togethers. It was cool. On the first dive, they were all over, the second dive also, except a couple of them really started doing much better. On the third dive, as my instructor told me prior to the dive, they all started putting some things together and looking like divers. I can see the satisfaction in teaching, it was awesome to see them come around. The after certification celebration was good to see also, especially because it was in the teens/twenties with wind down at BH. The water was FAR warmer than it was outside, I was surprised they actually showed up or proceeded onto the finish.
I feel good about DM! The bashers can kiss my rosy you-know-what, ha!

Yeah there is nothing like being there when things "click" for the newbs. It is fun to be part of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom