Help with 3 1/2 month Phillipines diving itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is such a thing as "dress code" when applying for the visa extension at the Immigration.
My suggestion:
1. Get your 59 days visa in Spain first.
2. Extend it and the ACR-I card in Cebu.

Someone had mentioned it somewhere(TripAdvisor?) that it "was"(few yrs ago) possible to extend the initial free 30 days entry visa to 59 days on arrival! So make sure U2 are smartly dressed and let the lady pop the question!

Good luck.

We know about the dress code, no problem with that. Getting the 59 day visa in Spain is a bit tricky as you have to go to the embassy in person and go back after few days to pick it up. I would have to go to Madrid or Barcelona and stay there few days. At the end it is going to be more costly than getting it there. They also ask for an outbound ticket, I guess within the first 59 days.

It would be awesome if we could get the 59day visa on arrival, we fly Baly to Cebu via Manila, with a 4h stop over at Manila airport, from 12:40PM to 4:20PM

Regards

Last edited:
Skip Pintuyan, stay on the other (east) side of Sogod Bay. If you are here in January/February it is prime whale shark season (usually), and though it's not a guarantee, you have a great chance of seeing a few. The area off Pintuyan isn't as reliable as it was just a few years ago, and if the reason to stay out there is to be closer to the whale sharks, the area is accessed by frequent in-season day trips offered by any of the bay's west side resorts. If your reason to visit Pintuyan is because it's on the way to Padre Burgos from Surigao, there is a Cokaliong ferry that will take you to Maasin from Surigao. Better yet, skip the hassle of Surigao and fly round trip Cebu to Camiguin.

As for your acr-i card: if you do get a visa extension at a local immigration office, forget about making a special trip back to pick it up. You are only staying a short time, and other than being required to pay the fees to get it, it only becomes necessary if you are renewing a previously issued 6 month visa extension. Have you considered going through the trouble of having a multiple entry visa issued in Spain, and then leaving the Philippines before your first 59 days expires for an overnight or weekend in Hong Kong? You receive another 59 day stamp on your return. There are some incredibly well priced flights out of Clark. The I card then is a non issue. You can get a 3 month multiple entry visa and the trouble might be worth it for you. If you do not want to travel to an embassy, you should be able to mail it with the proper documents, have it issued, and returned to you, and save yourself that trouble at least. You have time for that. You will almost definitely NOT get a 59 day stamp on arrival without going through the embassy process first.

As for your exit ticket from Philippines: it does not have to be within the original visa period. You just need to have one, and it can be for 3.5 months after your arrival.

Last but not least, you will be here for Chinese New Year. Make your plan well ahead and don't plan to be moving at that time if you can help it. Also be aware that Sinulog, in Cebu, is the third Sunday in January. Plan well ahead to either avoid the area entirely, or dive right in. If it's something you want to experience, it's not too early to make your arrangements.

With 3.5 months on the ground, I wouldn't be too concerned about checking most of these places off your list without moving around too much.

Last edited:
The reason to go to Pintuyan was just the oposite you are saying, I red somewhere that it was closer to the whaleshark area than Padre Burgos. Also if we fly from Cebu to Surigao it seemed easier just go to Pintuyan and then from there back to Surigao and Camiguin. If we were to go to Bohol after south Leyte then it would make more sense to stay in Padre Burgos We can spend 10-14 days in the are so I guess we can do both Padre Burgos and Pintuyan.

There seem to be lots of diving centers in Padre Burgos but only one in Pintuyan?

If we do not need the ACR-I card, just ned to apply for it, then we could fly to Surigao, from there go to south Leyte, back to Surigao and extend the visa, then to Camiguin and from there cagayan de oro and fly to Dumaguette. We could also take the ferry to Bohol and from there go Dumaguete but flight to Dumaguette from Cagayan de Oro are just 1000php incluiding 20kg luggage, for the dates we need.

You are suggesting to fly return to Camiguin...how can you go to Padre burgos from Camiguin skipping Surigao?

Maximum visa we can get in Spain is 59 day visa, the are multiple exit visas valid for up to a year, but it reffers to the date of entry. All visas have to be extended in the Phillipines after 59 days.

To get one of those Clark-Hong Kong flight we would have to stay in clark longer than we want to and at the end the cost is going to be even higher. The cost of the extention to 59 days plus 2 extra months is around 10.000php aprox, if we fly out of the country we still have to get two extentions to 59 days, 6.000php aprox. Add the cost of flights etc plus the hassle...We rather do it all in the Phillipines, just looking for the more convinient way to do it without having to detour too much.

We will not be in Cebu by Sinulog, Chinese new year is on the 16th of december. We will be in the Dumaguette area or Siquijor by then. Which one should be more relax during those celebrations?

Regards
Javier

Last edited:
1. Chinese New Year is on 16th Feb. I don't think there will be much celebration locally unless in certain area(Binondo) in Manila. This is NOT Christmas afterall! However, a lot of tourists from HK and particularly commie china will be visiting various diving areas making reservation absolutely necessary in some resorts(avoid them) specially gearing up for their patronizing. Siquijor should be pretty immune from them.
2. In Padre Bugos, Peters and Sogod Bay Scuba Resort are the two that get my vote.
3. Most if not all resorts in Moalboal will organize day trip to Oslob for whaleshark(dive or snorkel). And if you have dived with the whaleshark in Oslob then there is no need to travel to Pintuyan.
4. Camiguin Travel Guide
The journey from Camiguin to Pintuyan via Surigao is long and tedious. So the suggestion by "xrcjdx" is sound.

You only need to adjust your original plan a wee bit:
5-6 Jan Cebu
6-16 Camiguin/Padres Bugos.
17-18 Cebu for your 2nd extension.
After picking up the passport, depart for Camiguin/Padres Bugos and pick up the ACR-I card on your return to Cebu.

I hope you don't have the same issue in Indonesia.

Good luck

Last edited:
My mistake with Chinese New year...to many dates floating in my brain by now :)
How can be easier to get to Padre Burgos from Camiguin than to Pintuyan via Surigao? Can you specify the route?

We rather try to watch the whalesharks in the wild than go to Oslob Circus, only if we do not see them while in Padre Burgos/ Pintuyan we may go to Oslob...may..

Cebu-Surigao-Pintuyan can be easy done in a day, from Pintuyan we can go to padre Burgos and from there back to Surigao. Surigao to Balingoan ( ferry to Camiguin ) is a 240km ride. Then from Camiguin to Cagayan de Oro and fly to Dumaguette...We can allow a whole month for that part of the trip, from 7th January to 7th Feb if needed. Then we still would have another month for Dauin, Apo and Siquijor

Someone from lonely planet forums suggested we do not need to pick up the ACR-I card, just keep all the invoices. We would only neede for future extensions. We can leave the country without it.

We already have a 2 month visa for Bali, for Sulawesi/Raja Ampst we will need to get an extension but can be done in a couple of days.. .they say

Regards
Javier

Camiguin - Balingoan - Surigao - Pintuyan
The ferry took about 2hrs to Balingoan. I had travelled once from Balingoan to CDO and the bus journey took at least 2 hrs so I would imagine the trip from Balingoan to Surigao would take min of 6-7hrs, not counting the waiting time! A similar but shorter trip from Bacolod to Sipalay(160km) took 5-6hrs so you can imagine a road trip for 240km! And depend on ferry schedule U2 might have to overnight in Surigao. BTW, scuba diving is available Surigao.
Camiguin - Cebu- Ormoc - Padres Bugos.
The 5J flight is scheduled to touch down around 06:30 so you have plenty of time to catch the fast boat(3hrs) to Ormoc which is another 3-4hrs by public transport to Padres Bugos. You might have to break up the journey at Maasin which is about an hr from Padres Bugos by jeepney.

Cebu - Surigao - Pintuyan - Surigao - Balingoan - Camiguin - Balingoan - CDO -Dumaguete.
Cebu - Camiguin - Cebu - Ormoc - Padres Bugos - Maasin - Cebu - Dumaguete.

BTW, which airline fly CDO to DGT direct?
Camiguin - Cebu - DGT is more direct then via CDO.

If you have a month to spend at Negros and Siquijor then you have to go to Sipalay.
Can I interest you with another small island in Cebu Province? Camotes is the collective name for a group of 4 small islands just off the coast from Ormoc, reachable from either Ormoc or Danao(an hr north of Cebu City with frequent public transport available). Look it up.

At the end we went to Phillipines Consulate in Barcelona and applied for the 59 day visa, so we have the first part of the trip covered. We get to Cebu on the 26th of Nov, go to Pundaquit from the 22nd of Dec to the 5th of Jan. Would it be possible to get the 2 month extension while in Pundaquit? Where? In los Angeles City?

3 days ago flights from Cebu to Surigao were 1000php, from Cagayan de Oro to Dumaguete 600php. They have gone up by a lot, both flights direct with Cebu Pacific

If we could get the 2 month visa extension while in Pundaquit we could then go from Cebu to Padre Burgos by ferry via Maasin/Hilongos, from there to Camiguin and from there to Siquijor, Apo island and Dauin. That would be with no flights and we would skip Pintuyan, Surigao and Cagayan de Oro

We will look into Camotes ( we could go on the way to Padre Burgos) and Sipalay (just a small detour), we have plenty of time really, we will see ;-)

Regards
Javier

Back
Top Bottom