Help with accessories please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tbh if you are changing mask suit etc every time you are going to have trouble.

First thing is get a mask that fits. Spend a couple of hours in a shop trying a bundle of them until you get one that works. A good shop will understand and help you.

Second get a drysuit that doesn't leak. Drip you know where the leaks were? If they were due to the neck and wrist seals that can be worked on (new seals or adjustments).

Staying warm on the surface is hugely important. If you were cold going in it will just get worse when you are in.

Mask, fins, snorkel. All worthwhile investments and tour local dive shop should be able to make sure you have fit properly.

If you can’t figure out the drysuit situation, look at the possibility of an open water referral and finish your open water dives on holiday. Somewhere warm, I hope!

When you try masks on, put a snorkel in your mouth to simulate having a reg in. Inhale slightly with the mask over your face to get it to suction to your face and stay on without using the mask strap and see if it stays in place. If so, it likely won’t leak and that mask is a good fit. Make sure you can reach your nose to equalize if that’s how you equalize. Now buy that one and an extra one as a backup.

If you can’t figure out the drysuit situation, look at the possibility of an open water referral and finish your open water dives on holiday. Somewhere warm, I hope!

When you try masks on, put a snorkel in your mouth to simulate having a reg in. Inhale slightly with the mask over your face to get it to suction to your face and stay on without using the mask strap and see if it stays in place. If so, it likely won’t leak and that mask is a good fit. Make sure you can reach your nose to equalize if that’s how you equalize. Now buy that one and an extra one as a backup.
One thing that is worth emphasising for new divers is that the strap is only really there to keep the mask on the head and shouldn't be over tightened as this can cause significant deformation in the shape of the mask skirt which will cause leaks. The strap needs to be tight enough to hold the mask to the face but no tighter (I tend to have my mask with a slight squeeze when underwater so the water pressure is actually doing more of the sealing work than the strap).

If you are over tightening your boots and fin straps you are forcing air out of the sock which will make your feet chill faster, not to mention that it will also reduce blood flow, adding to the cold. The mask fit is key, as others have said. Are you using a snorkel? I sometimes find my snorkel will intermittently make my mask leak, so will hair. the skirt of your hood can push against the mask skirt causing intermittent leaks also. This is where buying the basics pay off. Mask and hood are important because they can affect each other..... Finally, the dry suit needs to fit on the collars and wrists, no stray undergarments ect. Buddy checking seals and zippers for complete closure is time well spent.

Small detail, but when you put in and remove snorkels/regs, only move your lower jaw up and down to open your mouth, not the rest of your face or your upper jaw. Go in front of the mirror and look like a monkey while experimenting with this and you'll see what I mean. :) That slight movement of the skin on your face or your upper jaw can sometimes cause a somewhat well-fitting mask to flood or at least seep water in slightly.

I'm the resident SB flooding mask expert. I think I'm on mask 17 now and I've finally found one that works most of the time. Leaks some, but not as bad as others. I have deep smile lines on either side of my nose and a mask with a longer bottom skirt did the trick.

I had a similar problem with my mask. My solution was similar to Marie13 but without having to try 17 masks. I just lowered the mask on my face so the bottom skirt was half way down my upper lip.

Using a drysuit from day 1 is normal in many of these European countries. Scotland, UK, nordic countries, even northern continental Europe are all located north of for example, Winnipeg and Halifax.

Two pairs of wool socks should be enough, although you might find the suit a tiny bit warmer if you add a pair of thermal boot insoles (about 1cm thick, removable, just a tiny bit of extra loft). Insoles usually absorb sweat and this helps stay a tiny bit warmer, and them absorbing/holding the moisture + being removable makes it easier to get the DS boot dry inside. But you will never be warm in a drysuit that leaks. You just can't be wet and stay warm in water that cold. Look forward to getting a suit that does not leak, with seals that seal your size of wrists and your size of neck (never so tight it chokes though, that's a deadly problem).

You might check the markets for a used drysuit reasonably nearby. If someone wants to sell you a used suit, they might let you try it out during your classes. A suit cared for by its one user will likely be in a lot better shape than one rented by dozens of strangers. But don't buy a used suit that doesn't stay dry - it might be easy to fix, then again it might not. :) There are plenty of genuinely dry suits for sale out there. Plenty of time to learn about finding a leak AFTER you had the opportunity every buyer deserves=> to enjoy a suit that stays dry for a least a little while.

There are many really excellent and warm undersuits. I think you will have a hard time getting more warmth for the price than by buying a Weezle Extreme Plus. 4th Element etc. make suits that are less bulky, more stylish and really amazing, but generally for a very different price.

Other folks already told you what you need to know about the mask.

Hope you get to enjoy some warm and dry dives!

Last edited:
To add further to @Neilwood good comments on masks.

I empathise with the OP as mask issues and clearing became debilitating for me in my very first dives - Now it's my favourite skill to demonstrate and teach.

A good mask choice is imperative especially so for the new diver. It's the one item that if not fitting can put you off diving or at least slow your learning down considerably.

As well as the mask not fitting size wise, and teh strap being too tight. Another common fault is that the strap is off centre. By that i mean it has been tightened more on one side than the other, and this can cause a leak. The simple fix is to release the straps fully, and then tighten them equally.

Also masks like those from Aqualung, have a hinge on the strap at the mask attachment. this allows some freedom as to where you position the back of the strap on your head. Sometimes if the strap is too high or too low it pulls the mask un-equally and lets in water

It is very much worth while purchasing your own mask, because they can be like an old friend that you have faith in.

I'll dive any old equipment but only my own mask

To add further to @Neilwood

As well as the mask not fitting size wise, and teh strap being too tight. Another common fault is that the strap is off centre. By that i mean it has been tightened more on one side than the other, and this can cause a leak. The simple fix is to release the straps fully, and then tighten them equally.

Also masks like those from Aqualung, have a hinge on the strap at the mask attachment. this allows some freedom as to where you position the back of the strap on your head. Sometimes if the strap is too high or too low it pulls the mask un-equally and lets in water

When I do get a leak, it is usually because the strap is either too high or too low and it's putting more pressure on the top of the skirt or the bottom and pulling the other side up. Excellent point. It's always a delicate balance when you have as much hair as me - the bun has to be placed just right for the strap to lay where I want it to. That's where Mr. OOO has the advantage...no hair to worry about :wink:

Back
Top Bottom