Help with choosing my 1st mask :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, 5 posts for the freudian slip. I mean't Hollis M1 mask. The Hollis F1's are the fins.

Yeah, I know. It's been a quiet day on the board. I guess that's probably what you meant but given there is an F1 mask it was unclear to which you were referring too.

Now there's 6 posts...:D

Yeah, I know. It's been a quiet day on the board. I guess that's probably what you meant but given there is an F1 mask it was unclear to which you were referring too.

Now there's 6 posts...:D

Wait, so just to be clear....we are under the assumption that Cressi makes equipment that can be called scuba gear :rofl3:

And do you know what's funny, I finally "fixed" my Hollis M1. It would always drive me nuts how I could never get a good seal on the mask.

My Brute started acting up with the nose leaking (the same as the M1) and nothing I did could fix it. After the 3rd week it finally dawned on me what was happening. I had been working from home and shaving every Monday, but leaving it for the rest of the week. I don't grow a lot of facial hair--shaving every 3-4 days keeps me "work acceptable", but me leaving it for a full 5 days and diving on the weekends without a single shave was enough to cause the leak. While the Brute might take 5 days of hair growing to cause a leak, the M1 has a "weaker seal" and only requires 3 days of not shaving to cause a leak. Did a fresh shave and dove the M1 all weekend, no issues whatsoever.

It just goes to show you have the littlest change is routine can cause (and in this case fix) problems.

Wait, so just to be clear....we are under the assumption that Cressi makes equipment that can be called scuba gear :rofl3:

And do you know what's funny, I finally "fixed" my Hollis M1. It would always drive me nuts how I could never get a good seal on the mask.

My Brute started acting up with the nose leaking (the same as the M1) and nothing I did could fix it. After the 3rd week it finally dawned on me what was happening. I had been working from home and shaving every Monday, but leaving it for the rest of the week. I don't grow a lot of facial hair--shaving every 3-4 days keeps me "work acceptable", but me leaving it for a full 5 days and diving on the weekends without a single shave was enough to cause the leak. While the Brute might take 5 days of hair growing to cause a leak, the M1 has a "weaker seal" and only requires 3 days of not shaving to cause a leak. Did a fresh shave and dove the M1 all weekend, no issues whatsoever.

It just goes to show you have the littlest change is routine can cause (and in this case fix) problems.

I have have exactly the same problem after day two of shaving, if I've forgotton my mask will leak non stop. I now carry a razor and shaving cream in my diving spares box in my car for just such occasions. Now if only I had the same growth problem on my head.

Back
Top Bottom