help with diy housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hello all i am making my own houseing an i was wonering if anyone had information on what types of rubber to use, for the o-ring and also what rubber to use for the push butons.

aaron_hoffman15:
hello all i am making my own houseing an i was wonering if anyone had information on what types of rubber to use, for the o-ring and also what rubber to use for the push butons.

Buna rubber will do just fine, 70 durameter or softer. A dovetail oring groove is ideal. I would just buy the feedthrus (what you call push buttons) from Ikelite, see their website. You have to use a return spring for push buttons, due to the water pressure. Keep it simple, 70% of the buttons on todays digital housings are not needed underwater. It just gives it another hole for it to leak! Also so use a dome port and min. to no wideangle lens add-ons, to max. sharpness.

Good luck

Bob3:
Another source of housing fittings is ebay, keep an eye out for those old obsolete housings, some can be had for a couple bucks & may have several useful controls you can salvage.

Very good point, used housings. I even went as far as changing the controls around on my older film slr housing ( i have four of them), to work on my digital camera.

Bob3:
Another source of housing fittings is ebay, keep an eye out for those old obsolete housings, some can be had for a couple bucks & may have several useful controls you can salvage.
f3nikon:
Very good point, used housings. I even went as far as changing the controls around on my older film slr housing ( i have four of them), to work on my digital camera.

two very good points, that's got me thinking

Back
Top Bottom