Help with Florida shark ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Help with shark ID?

Tail fin was long and curved similar to that of a nurse shark. Skin was pale grey, shape resembled a nurse, but with a longer, pointer nose. About 7' long. Found resting in a wreck at night. Would disappear once we got within sight, and reappear a few minutes later in the same spot, was not hunting, or otherwise concerned with what was going on near the wreck.

I honestly believed this to be a nurse, but once the excitement wore off, I realized the nose shape and color was not right. My buddy also commented that the head was not correct for a nursie.

Any thoughts???

Possibly a SANDBAR Shark?
Sandbar Shark

Sandbar shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus), also called the brown shark, is found nearshore typically at depths ranging from 60 to 200 feet. It is both a predator and scavenger, feeding chiefly near the bottom on fish and shellfish. It migrates long distances and matures at about 6 feet in length but can reach a maximum length of nearly 8 feet. It is brown or gray in color with a white underside. It migrates south in schools to Florida waters during the winter. Some remain throughout the year. This shark accounts for about 60 percent of the state's commercial landings.

The following link will give you more pics to survey to find your shark.

http://elasmodiver.com/sharkive%20index.htm#Shark%20Families
Carolyn:sharks:

Last edited:
Very Close. I think I've narrowed it down to a sand shark aka sand tiger aka grey nurse. The shape was almost exactly like these:

grey_nurse_shark.jpg

papoosesharkb.jpg

Thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction!

Definitely a Sandtiger. I had the pleasure of diving with a large female in April on the Akokeek in PC. What a treat to have seen one!

A favorite of the aquarium.

I watched a special recently on either History/Discovery/NGC about the WWII wrecks off the coast of North Carolina. Each of these wreck had hundreds of Sand Tigers on them. It was amazing

Sean

Moorehead City N. Carolina is THE PLACE for SANDTIGERS! You will definitely enjoy that dive if you are a shark junkie! The dive is Advanced though due to currents and depths. But definitely a blast!

Every time I see a Sand Tiger, I wish I were an otrhodontist...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom