help with side mounts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to diving!

Listen to any advice that TSandM gives you. She knows her stuff.

This isn't something that most people can undertake over the course of a single vacation. The training programs tend to stretch out over months or years. No worries, though. The fun is in the journey :)

I'd highly recommend that you start by setting your sights on an introductory level course (such as Fundies or an 'Intro tec') in order to help understand exactly what will be involved in reaching your long term goal of becoming a cave diver.

If money is of any concern, I highly recommend the above before purchasing any new scuba gear. Many people are somewhat dismayed to discover that all that 'fancy' technical gear is more simple, more economical, and more suited to all types of diving. Personally, I wish that I'd been able to avoid much of the buying and selling that led to me learning this lesson the hard way.

Carl

Cave diving is wonderful, but it is very advanced diving, and you will need some very good skills to do it. It does not need to be done in sidemount, but it does need to be done with at least two tanks, to provide complete redundancy in the event of one regulator failing. Most standard BCs won't support two tanks, either in sidemount configuration or on your back, so if cave diving really is a goal for you, you will either need to be able to dive backmounted doubles or sidemount. You can dive backmounted doubles in a backplate and wing setup, which, pleasantly enough, you can also use for single tank diving (need different wings) so you can get used to it while you are still doing your basic dives.

If you are serious about taking cave training, as opposed to doing cenote tours (which can be done in any gear), I can help lay out a training program for you that will make the most efficient use of your time and money. It's a really good idea to acquire facility with the gear AND a high level of open water skill before laying out the money for cave training anywhere.

i would appreciate that very much. like i say it will be about 2 years before i get there so i should have a very good basic skills.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2013 at 06:39 AM ----------

welcome to diving!

Listen to any advice that tsandm gives you. She knows her stuff.

This isn't something that most people can undertake over the course of a single vacation. The training programs tend to stretch out over months or years. No worries, though. The fun is in the journey :)

i'd highly recommend that you start by setting your sights on an introductory level course (such as fundies or an 'intro tec') in order to help understand exactly what will be involved in reaching your long term goal of becoming a cave diver.

If money is of any concern, i highly recommend the above before purchasing any new scuba gear. Many people are somewhat dismayed to discover that all that 'fancy' technical gear is more simple, more economical, and more suited to all types of diving. Personally, i wish that i'd been able to avoid much of the buying and selling that led to me learning this lesson the hard way.

Carl

roll tide!!!!

If you are serious about taking cave training, as opposed to doing cenote tours (which can be done in any gear), I can help lay out a training program for you that will make the most efficient use of your time and money. It's a really good idea to acquire facility with the gear AND a high level of open water skill before laying out the money for cave training anywhere.

Very interesting. When it is ready for ASert, please send me a copy, too!

A wise man once told me to keep it simple stupid!
KISS in the acronym for the saying.
A training plan with instilled goals that are flexible yet realistic is always your best bet.
BM / SM either will get you where you want but the mindset / skill set that go with them are only gained in the water through quality training time.
If TSandM is offering better listen and research her information.
James K has offered helpful links as well.

My transition into BM/SM started in 2008-09.
I started caving at the Intro. level 2010 and finished Full / Cave diver in 2012.
I started moving very fast but slowed way down gaining some experience and training took a whole new meaning.
Almost all of my dives since 2011 have been focused training on skills with like minded buddies.
We get together plan skills we wish to work on and have at it.
One word of caution pick your mentors or buddies carefully because skill training is useless if it is not done correctly.

Sound boring, cold, harsh, not FUN!
Well I enjoy the type of diving that requires a increased awareness and planning you just do not start doing it, you grow into it slowly.
I have watched other push rush into the evolution and it can be done but it takes a lot of cash and time in the water.
YOU WILL BE TESTED both on a academic level, physical, and mental.
Like I stated this type of diving DEMANDS increased awareness with some it grows well with others it does not.

LISTEN to those with more experience when they approach you take their words to heart.
Some will be desiring to improve you, others wish to discourage you, but in general all want to help you survive and grow.
Good luck do your homework and you will be fine.
Pm me anytime we can talk.
Others have tread the path you are wishing to start.
Enjoy I loved every step and a little hint the path NEVER ENDS!

CamG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom