Help with strange HOG SPG problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SED

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone experienced the problem shown in the attached pic? (Hint: it’s the one on the right!)

HOG SPGs.jpg

The HOG SPG (Thermo-made) failed on its first cave trip, after 10 dives. And NO, the gauge wasn't subjecting to over 5000 psi!

Neither HOG nor the vendor will replace the gauge (in fact, the HOG rep became quite confrontational).

So I’m wondering if there’s a mechanical fix, short of dismantling and trashing. Any ideas?

Did you speak to Hog directly (and skip the distributor). My experience with Hog is that they stand behind their products better than most. I would send them the photos and give them a chance.

Where are you located? Did you go to the HOG website and fill out a warranty claim? It is found here:

http://www.edge-gear.com/Assets/file/EDGE&HOG Warranty Repair Request Form.pdf

Gauges are covered under warranty. I am really surprised the dealer will not handle the issue. I have had one or two gauges act up and after getting the customer to fill out the warranty form had no problem resolving the issue.

Looks like it has had a jolt and the needle has jumped the stop pin.
On the old Scubapro gauges I'd unscrew the bezel remove the faceplate and put the needle back where it belongs...probably bend the needle down a bit too to prevent it happening again.

I had the same thing happen to my Halcyon SPG when my gear was knocked off a bench onto a concrete floor.

Anyone know of a fix? (Alas, Fishpie, there is no bezel to unscrew.)

Tap it on a towel on a bench face down to see if the needle will go back over the pin?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Did you speak to Hog directly (and skip the distributor). My experience with Hog is that they stand behind their products better than most. I would send them the photos and give them a chance.

Yes, but no joy.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 08:23 AM ----------

Gauges are covered under warranty. I am really surprised the dealer will not handle the issue.
It's a long story that would bog down this thread, but I can tell you more in a PM. Have no idea as to warranty limits as no info was communicated at purchase.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 08:24 AM ----------

On the old Scubapro gauges I'd unscrew the bezel remove the faceplate and put the needle back where it belongs...probably bend the needle down a bit too to prevent it happening again.

No bezel... can opener disassembly required.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 08:27 AM ----------

Tap it on a towel on a bench face down to see if the needle will go back over the pin?
Might as well. Nothing more to lose as gauge is FUBAR.

Looking at that picture it looks like it's sustained some damage to the lower left side from what is probably a substantial impact. This may have caused the needle to jump. If it's an optical illusion ignore my previous sentence with my apologies.

What problem did the rep have exactly?

I'd be more than surprised if HOG don't replace it for you, assuming it's not impact related damage, Chris seems like a very stand up guy who stands behind his products.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 10:33 AM ----------

What are you being told by HOG, it seems like there maybe to this story?

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 10:34 AM ----------

Post this over in the HOG/Edge sub forum if you haven't already done so at least there Chris will definitely see it.

Remember.. a rubber boot over a spg or a console is entirely worthless, does nothing to provide protection and might even be dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom